• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-28 Trojan

Pags

N/A
pilot
Did any of the more "seasoned" avaitors around here fly the T-28 and have some sea stories about it? I found myself talking to some of the L3 guys who were around when the -28s were on their way out and it sounded like a beast of an airplane.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
It just looks like a beast of an airplane, there's one in front of the O Club at Corpus, and its massive compared to the T-34, so I imagine it would be.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yeah, the B's and C's had something like 1300hp...of course it weighed about 8000# too, but still...1300hp!

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
A good friend of mine owns a T-28C that was with VT-28 or -27 (I can't remember which one it is). I have been privaleged enough to fly in that beast a couple of times and once in an airshow. It is very light on the controls and a blast to fly. The only draw backs I saw with it: 1. It is noisy as hell 2. It was hot as hell 3) It guzzles gas at over 30 gallons/hr on "economy" cruise.

There is a group (The Trojan Flyers) based out of Dallas that flies T-28s duel in a aerobatic routine. They are Sierra Hotel!

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Ahhhhh .... T-28's. What a fine beast. Throwback to the glory days of open cockpits, leather and canvas flying "helmets", khaki snapping in the airstream and WW2 aviation.

I only got one backseat Middie ride in them at Corpus and never flew them, but I ooogled 'em when I was flying the Teenie-Weenie out of Saufley Field. I thought T-28's were great.

1405285jr.jpg

Now time for a nap .....

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Hey, take the overspeed governor off the T-6 and you'll get up to 1708 hp ... can't even imagine what the -6B will do ;)

And at least that sucker has a nice AC unit...

Pags

N/A
pilot
TurnandBurn55 said:
Hey, take the overspeed governor off the T-6 and you'll get up to 1708 hp ... can't even imagine what the -6B will do ;)

And at least that sucker has a nice AC unit...

Maybe the -6B will have beta so the navy can use it at it's training airfields. And tires that last longer than 20 landings.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Actually, I don't have too much to say about the T-28, other than I wish the local Navy flying club owned one and I wish I had flown one ....

When we did the Corpus portion of our Aviation Indoc/USMC summer cruise (the old format for 2/c Middie cruise) we had the opportunity to take a break from PT, sailing, baseball, and marching and go for a ride in the T-28. GREAT STUFF!! I felt just like some SW Pacific WW2 fighter driver in my mind as we rolled over white puffy clouds, dove down to the blue white-capped Gulf, and then flat-hatted across an undeveloped Padre Island. You could do that then .... a man still had to know his limitations, however.

I vaguely remember yelling "YAHOOOOOO"!! at the top of my lungs from the sheer exhilaration of the moment to the amusement of my T-28 "Instructor".

My next up-close exposure to the "Beast" was at Saufley when I was in VT-1 and learning the finer points of the Teenie-Weenie (T-34B Mentor). VT-5 shared the field and spaces. VT-5 was the CQ squadron for prop guys --- those most recently graduated from VT-2 and VT-3 @ Whiting. Both of those squadrons had the T-28 and all the guys slated for prop pipeline went that way. EVERYONE went to the boat in those days .... sooooooooooo ... back to Saufley and VT-5 and CQ.

When they returned to Saufley for CQ with VT-5 the STUDS were "salty" compared to us newbies in the T-34 -- and they knew it and we knew it. No questions were asked -- it was just accepted. We used to watch them taxi out for CQ at Barin Field --- "don't ever go near Barin or Bronson !!!" was one of our hard, fast VT-1 course rules --- those two fields must have been very scary places :) ... it sure was mysterious to VT-1 STUDs in any case .... something about bouncing and CQ??? WHAT'S THAT !!??!!

Just watching them taxi around Saufley gave one a sense of power, importance, and accomplishment! Canopies open, sleeves rolled up, shades on, hands casually hanging over the canopy rail. Oh!!! "If only I could do that" we all thought .....

Whenever the T-28 came into the break at Saufley (and they did NOT use the T-34 traffic circle!!) they did it @ max speed and snapped it up into nearly a 90 degree AOB break. IMPRESSIVE!!! I used to look up when walking across the ramp and think: "God, I hope I can survive this program long enough to do that someday !!" The T-28 drivers; STUDS all, continued to lord it over us in the flight spaces and areas (they had their own flight (ready) room -- off limits to T-34 STUDS) and expecially in the cafeteria the pecking order was "enforced".

The T-28 drivers always cut ahead of us in line ... "Got a "Charlie time" --- sorry, can't wait for you guys" ... they unzipped their flight suits down to their waist (!), wore ball caps (!), and sported Ray-Ban Aviator shades (!) --- NO CRAPPY ISSUE SHADES FOR THEM !!!

They were gods .... and they knew it .... and all was right in the world.

I wish I could do it all over again .... :)

nthamericant28trojan1nd.jpg
vt5patchverver0sc.jpg
bowlexington5hn.jpg

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
Maybe the -6B will have beta so the navy can use it at it's training airfields. And tires that last longer than 20 landings.

The T-6B is going to foreign countries as a light attack aircraft.