• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-34 engine

doubledeuce

Tartan
None
PT6A-68 is the T-6 engine. If it is a real photo, what's the purpose? Testing? Back-taxiing? Just looking like a BAMF?

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
Checking for the prop retaining bolts on preflight must be a huge pain in the a$$...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Checking for the prop retaining bolts on preflight must be a huge pain in the a$$...
I've flow over a couple thousand hours with PT-6s on 3 different types of aircraft. I haven't checked for a "prop retaining bolt" yet.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
PT6A-68 is the T-6 engine.

That's one of many different models of the PT-6. The word I got regarding the PT-6 was that it orginally was an oil pipeline pump engine and was designed to run for days at a time. Someone would come along every so often and check the oil and top it off and then it would continue to run. Apparently someone was looking for a small lightweight engine to put on an airplane and thought the PT-6 (or whatever it was called) made sense. This is, in part, why it's installed backwards, since it originally was not meant to go on an aircraft.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
That's one of many different models of the PT-6. The word I got regarding the PT-6 was that it orginally was an oil pipeline pump engine and was designed to run for days at a time. Someone would come along every so often and check the oil and top it off and then it would continue to run. Apparently someone was looking for a small lightweight engine to put on an airplane and thought the PT-6 (or whatever it was called) made sense. This is, in part, why it's installed backwards, since it originally was not meant to go on an aircraft.

Heard the same story in my Turbines class. Same engine used in the King Air, right?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yup. And the Starship, the Caravan, the Pilatusessessses, Turbo Malibus, Beach 1900s, etc, etc.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Planes are used as testbeds for a lot of things:

A380freighter_8.jpg

http://www.aerospace-technology.com/projects/airbus_a380/airbus_a3808.html

99d01406.jpg

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/1999/photorelease/photo_release_990311n.htm

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/propulsion/propfan/propfan2.jpg

Planes are used as testbeds for a lot of things

Like frickin' 747's with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads...

8060.jpg

and planes for testing the laser... One big-ass target/fake missile for the laser to lock on to...

58901720.jpg

photo credit: Steven Lewis

and this was a new one on me: Helo-borne laser...

AC90-0652-3_a.jpeg