• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-38 Crashes in Southern California

Bevo16

pilot
That's right. I had it in the back of my mind that this was already three, but the only other one that I could remember was the two civil AC that collided off of long beach.

Hopefully this is the last one for a while. Three proves the rule, but enough is enough.

HuggyU2

None
USNTPS has a few T-38C's at Pax River.
I know a bunch of T-38 guys at Edwards.
LA press is reporting 1 fatal, 1 injured.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
These things happen in 3's.

We are at 2.

Preflight twice.

Depends on how you look at it.(Closer to 3 or 4) The Marines had the Cobra go down a few weeks ago. And if you go back to Feb we had the 60s in Fallon, but everyone survived that.

HuggyU2

None
The T-38 pilot killed was a U-2 pilot we sent to TPS. He was about halfway through the course.
He really was a "mad scientist". Converted his piece-of-crap car to run on vegetable oil. Could build just about anything.

HuggyU2

None
We did a short notice wake on Friday. Really good for everyone. A couple of the U-2 pilots here were very good friends with Mark from their days at El Forko Grande.
Lots of good stories were told.
Check out www.markdashgraziano.com
There's a bunch more photos and videos they want to load up, so it should grow a bit.
A quick story: Mark was scheduled to fly high, i.e. in the space suit, about 18 months ago. There was an outdoor change of command on the flightline for an O-6 here.
Now you need to know that after you put on the suit, and get all the pressure and O2 checks done, they put you in a large bread van with 2 lazy boy chairs in the back, and drive you out to the jet. Well, Mark decided HE should drive the van, and somehow convince the airman to let him do it. So, Mark jumps in this bread van, in the space suit, with his portable O2 and air conditioning cooler, and goes driving to the flightline. In the process of this, he passes the CoC gathering, with the Wing Commander, Vice, and Ops Group Commander looking up to see Mr Space Suit driving a GOV around the flightline. Needless to say, the OG got a funny look from the Wing Commander. Mark later got an ass chewing of epic proportions from the OG.
I still laugh thinking about this.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
We did a short notice wake on Friday. Really good for everyone. A couple of the U-2 pilots here were very good friends with Mark from their days at El Forko Grande.
There's a bunch more photos and videos they want to load up, so it should grow a bit.
A quick story: Mark was scheduled to fly high, i.e. in the space suit, about 18 months ago. There was an outdoor change of command on the flightline for an O-6 here.
Now you need to know that after you put on the suit, and get all the pressure and O2 checks done, they put you in a large bread van with 2 lazy boy chairs in the back, and drive you out to the jet. Well, Mark decided HE should drive the van, and somehow convince the airman to let him do it. So, Mark jumps in this bread van, in the space suit, with his portable O2 and air conditioning cooler, and goes driving to the flightline. In the process of this, he passes the CoC gathering, with the Wing Commander, Vice, and Ops Group Commander looking up to see Mr Space Suit driving a GOV around the flightline. Needless to say, the OG got a funny look from the Wing Commander. Mark later got an ass chewing of epic proportions from the OG.

Guys like this, who have stories like this, are what make aviation a kickass lifestyle. We ought to enjoy it while we're still here.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor

That's an awesome story. The only thing that would have made it better is if he'd gotten out and said something funny like "take me to your leader" or "this isn't where I parked my plane."

Renegade One

None
The backseater is currently a classmate of mine at UTSI, Maj Lee Jones. Great man, sharp engineer, and all this was totally preventable as the AIB clearly states:

http://www.airforcemag.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/Reports/2009/October 2009/Day14/T-38_Crash_052109_AIB_report.pdf
Nice thread resurrection. I sometimes wish the Navy would be as forthcoming, although I kinda understand why they aren't. Within the last year, I had requested, under the FOIA, the Mishap reports on twoClass ALFAs: In one of which I was the MRIO (Mishap RIO), and for the other of which I was the Senior Member of the AMB…who wrote and signed out the AMR.
Both were so heavily redacted as to make no sense to anyone other than as to date/time/location. Ah, well...