• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Talked with recruiter...confused about ROTC

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
All the Navy cares about is that they are calculus based courses, so that means Calc I and II and Physics w/ Calc I and II. How does the Navy know you've taken them? It ends up on your transcript, so the way they are counted is if your school accepts the credits. If the classes you took in HS were AP classes, and you passed the AP tests, then usually universities will accept the credits. How much they except depends on how well you did on the test.

A "few" years ago, Univ. of FL (as an example) gave you one semester (3 credits) worth for a "3" and two semester's worth for a 4 or 5 in calc. Your milage may vary.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Well, what I really wanted to drive home to those looking to get commissioned is that there is no "one size fits all" standard. True, most go one of three routes: USNA, NROTC Scholarship, or OCS. That said, for every cookie cutter accession there are just as many variations. Just because a majority get their bars via one method, don't be afraid to explore all options. You owe it to yourself to ask lots of questions to every possible source (just ensure the source is qualified to answer, and get it in writing from an official document/instruction when at all possible).

You'll find that however you get there, in the end, everyone's commmisioning certificate looks the same. :)

Prefontaine

Thanks for all the replies. I have one question about the Tweedale scholarship.

I've read that the Navy generally does not pressure you to go into a field of your major after you graduate. However, I plan on doing ME...if I get the scholarship, which is for technical majors, will I be expected/pressured to go into this field?

Dalamara

Yep. I think they prefer technical majors cause they usually require more dedication and work to complete, and to a certain degree help you in the fleet but not all that much. The main thing I think is the fact that you're willing to put in the hard work now, so you'll be more likely to put in hard work later.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dalamara said:
Yep. I think they prefer technical majors cause they usually require more dedication and work to complete, and to a certain degree help you in the fleet but not all that much. The main thing I think is the fact that you're willing to put in the hard work now, so you'll be more likely to put in hard work later.
Nothing could be further from the truth.

Brett