• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo questions

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is he really still in the slam? I saw this story in Marine Corps Times a long time ago. He definitely deserves it if he is.

There was another one who was a HT IP when I was going through. Apparently he was smuggling drugs in through one of the borders. It might have been him, as well. I did a TFAM w/ him. Seemed laid back, but something was a little different w/ him.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
There was another one who was a HT IP when I was going through. Apparently he was smuggling drugs in through one of the borders. It might have been him, as well. I did a TFAM w/ him. Seemed laid back, but something was a little different w/ him.

When I was at Whiting, it was the Catholic priest at St Rose parish in Milton that was caught smuggling from New Orleans...... I'm pretty sure I went to confession to that guy.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Hello, and a question

First, I want to thank all of you nd the site administrators for all of the posts that have greatly helped me in this process.

I'm currently a college senior, graduating in August '08 following an internship over the summer. I hope to head to OCS ASAP as soon as I am out of my internship, but I'm still in the application process. Here are my stats:

Appalachian State University (yes, we beat Michigan and won 3 straight Championships...please hold your applause)
Major: Music Industry - Artist Management - 3.3 GPA
Minor: Business Management

Applying for SNA, SNFO, SWO
ASTB: 6, 7, 6, 54
LORs: 1 college professor, 1 0-5 Active pilot, 1 0-5 retired pilot.

Question: My recruiter is having me fill out SF-86 and other documents BEFORE pro-rec. My application has not gone in yet, and he is saying I need to have everything together including MEPS and PRT scores before he can send it. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, I found out today that I need to obtain a waiver for a tattoo that extends just barely below my left sleeve (in a t-shirt), any experience on how difficult - or how long this will take?

Thanks!

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Tattoo question

First, I want to thank all of you nd the site administrators for all of the posts that have greatly helped me in this process.

I'm currently a college senior, graduating in August '08 following an internship over the summer. I hope to head to OCS ASAP as soon as I am out of my internship, but I'm still in the application process. Here are my stats:

Appalachian State University (yes, we beat Michigan and won 3 straight Championships...please hold your applause)
Major: Music Industry - Artist Management - 3.3 GPA
Minor: Business Management

Applying for SNA, SNFO, SWO
ASTB: 6, 7, 6, 54
LORs: 1 college professor, 1 0-5 Active pilot, 1 0-5 retired pilot.

Question: My recruiter is having me fill out SF-86 and other documents BEFORE pro-rec. My application has not gone in yet, and he is saying I need to have everything together including MEPS and PRT scores before he can send it. Has anyone else experienced this? Also, I found out today that I need to obtain a waiver for a tattoo that extends just barely below my left sleeve (in a t-shirt), any experience on how difficult - or how long this will take?

Thanks!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Also, I found out today that I need to obtain a waiver for a tattoo that extends just barely below my left sleeve (in a t-shirt), any experience on how difficult - or how long this will take?

Thanks!

Tattoo waivers should take no time at all, assuming it is waivable. I had to have a waiver for an armband on my right arm before my package was sent in. An LT at my NRD was able to look at it and determine that it was fine and signed the waiver right there, it took 2 minutes.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Also, I found out today that I need to obtain a waiver for a tattoo that extends just barely below my left sleeve (in a t-shirt), any experience on how difficult - or how long this will take?

Thanks!

Tattoo waivers should take no time at all, assuming it is waivable. I had to have a waiver for an armband on my right arm before my package was sent in. An LT at my NRD was able to look at it and determine that it was fine and signed the waiver right there, it took 2 minutes.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Thanks all,

I was beginning to wonder what was going on. Tattoo "certificate"/explaination sent off today.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Thanks all,

I was beginning to wonder what was going on. Tattoo "certificate"/explaination sent off today.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Question: My recruiter is having me fill out SF-86 and other documents BEFORE pro-rec. My application has not gone in yet, and he is saying I need to have everything together including MEPS and PRT scores before he can send it. Has anyone else experienced this?
You have to do all that stuff anyway, so why not get it out of the way? I'm applying for NUPOC, so it's a little different of a process, but I did go to MEPS and fill out the security form before my package was submitted.

As far as the PRT, my recruiter said that they got a class where something like 35/50 applicants failed the in-PRT, so there's a new policy. You need to take it before the package gets submitted and within 2 weeks of leaving for OCS.

Dunno. The Navy handles waivers for you. Sometimes it involves signing an extra form, sometimes it doesn't.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Question: My recruiter is having me fill out SF-86 and other documents BEFORE pro-rec. My application has not gone in yet, and he is saying I need to have everything together including MEPS and PRT scores before he can send it. Has anyone else experienced this?
You have to do all that stuff anyway, so why not get it out of the way? I'm applying for NUPOC, so it's a little different of a process, but I did go to MEPS and fill out the security form before my package was submitted.

As far as the PRT, my recruiter said that they got a class where something like 35/50 applicants failed the in-PRT, so there's a new policy. You need to take it before the package gets submitted and within 2 weeks of leaving for OCS.

Dunno. The Navy handles waivers for you. Sometimes it involves signing an extra form, sometimes it doesn't.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
I'm not worried at all about MEPS.

BTW - Tattoo waiver came back a few days after it was sent. No big deal. Thanks for your help.

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
I'm not worried at all about MEPS.

BTW - Tattoo waiver came back a few days after it was sent. No big deal. Thanks for your help.

VIZKRIEG

KILL
Slight resurrection, but I didn't find anything in the search, and my question seems relevant enough...

I heard something years ago about SEALs not being able to have tattoos that would make them distinguishable as Americans, in the event that they got captured on a black op that was not acknowledged by the govt. I could be remembering it wrong, and beyond that, it could have been bull anyways, but this thread reminded me of it, and I just thought I'd see if there was any basis in fact.

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
Know for a fact that some seals have tattoos that would distinguish them (whether that's against "regs" or not is a different story ;)). Went to a SEALs wedding a couple years back and he had an American flag chestpiece w/ the USS Constitution and sunset...

badbob

re- Tattoos:

When I was 4 or 5 back in the '50s my Uncle came to stay with us (my father put him to work painting the house) after finishing his hitch in the Marines post Korea. He had a nice Marine Globe on his bicep and I idolized him and followed him around all day "helping". One night at dinner we had the "tatoo discussion"...my uncle saying..Never get one bobby, scratch it, see? It'll never come off....never, no matter what! And then my Dad, 82nd AB, veteran of Normandy, Market Garden, and Bastogne described to me tatoos of the prisoners in the concentration camps he saw when his regiment came on in Germany....

Scary stuff for a 5 year old. Sticks with ya.

I don't judge anyone by their tattooes or lack of 'em, but I'd never get one. I know the cultures changed and it's viewed as art or a rite of passage but there it is. Take it for what it's worth.

b2