• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tech major?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
As I was finishing up NROTC a two years ago, I know NETC or whatever they're calling it now was trying to push for more technical majors. We took a survey right before I commissioned that asked if we would have been willing to have been technical majors if there would have been a bonus. It may have come full circle now and they've actually implemented an actual push for technical majors. You're probably going to be helped more as a liberal arts or business major with a 3.5 than as an engineer with a 2.7.

As to flight school, of the guys I knew in four years of NROTC that picked up SNA or SNFO only one was an engineer. The other nine of us were all history or businees majors. As has been said before, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to make it through flight school.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
....and then:

Whoa! F- for you in reading comprehension. Come on now.

I just read your thread Scholarships for ROTC from 11/05 and had a good laugh (not at you). I knew the guy who wrote that article, he was in VQ-1 when I was. A really smart guy, but sometimes had a slightly 'different' take on things. Not that it was bad but he just looked at certain things and came to different conclusion than other guys sometimes. I am guessing that was the case with his experience at the Citadel and how they awarded scholarships there at the time. If one bases their experiences with NROTC on just the Citadel then you are going to have different view than if you went to a 'normal' NROTC unit to put it lightly.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Almost everyone I know in my class is a non-tech and finishing 3 and 4 yr scholarships. I know we are a couple years advanced from your position, but things haven't changed that much. In fact there were a couple non-techs who picked up scholarships w/ less than 3.5 cum GPA's, so unless you are academically or socially retarded, there is a good chance that you will get picked up if you stick with it through your sophomore year. The college program is really underrated by prospective freshmen (and I see it used less and less each year).....its a great chance to feel things out and decide if this is what you really want to do....and you get to prove yourself in terms of getting a scholarship. If I had a dollar for every scholarship freshman who dropped the program because they couldn't cut it outside of the classroom, I would have a thick wallet. In other words don't worry about the tech/non-tech issue. /rant

GulfBreezeGuy

Homegrown SNA
To reinforce others -- I'm a first class middie who was just picked up as an SNA. I'm also an English major, with a 3.2, who originally got into the program on a 3 year scholarship. In fact, of the five seniors who got picked for aviation, 2 are engineers, and 3 are non technical.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
When I got picked up for my 3 yr. I had about a 3.3 and 270 on the pt test. Another guy and I got a special PNS (professor of naval science) scholarship. I'll reiterate what the guys before me said, there are always ways if you want it bad enough. A bunch of sophomores just got picked up in a second look round, and I think only one of them was a tech major. Don't give up!

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I am guessing that was the case with his experience at the Citadel and how they awarded scholarships there at the time. If one bases their experiences with NROTC on just the Citadel then you are going to have different view than if you went to a 'normal' NROTC unit to put it lightly.

You have no idea... :D