• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Terrible SU-33 article...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wikipedia aside, this might be of interest to fans of the Su-33

I wonder why there seem to be so few personnel on Russian CV decks compared to US and Brit carriers (even accounting for the small air wing)

JT

That ski-jump looks rather unnecessary. I wonder if that's a compromise left over from when they had VSTOL birds as well.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...good question....

The Admiral Kuznetsov is pretty old...and it is their only carrier (operational) I believe so that could be it.

Definitely one of my favorite aircraft ever....thanks for the vid.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Wikipedia aside, this might be of interest to fans of the Su-33

I wonder why there seem to be so few personnel on Russian CV decks compared to US and Brit carriers (even accounting for the small air wing)

JT

Not needing catapault control could be a reason. Also, just because you don't see the fuel/weapons/handler etc doesn't mean they don't have them, they just aren't in the video.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not needing catapault control could be a reason. Also, just because you don't see the fuel/weapons/handler etc doesn't mean they don't have them, they just aren't in the video.

Also keep in mind that these aren't operational carriers or aircraft. This is a staged photo-op for FMS promotion. Handling a 35 aircraft operational launch cycle is a little different than dealing with 1 or 2 jets.

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
That "Cobra" maneuver is pretty cool. Not sure how useful it would be, but it is neat. Cool video, neat plane.