• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

testing your identification skills

nyy

it isnt every day that a giant orange helo flies over my house (usually just commercial planes), so when i saw this, i hurried to get my camera. as i put on my telephoto lens, and turned it on, i realized the battery wasnt in and had to run to grab it off the charger. finally i was able to snap a shot when the helicopter was probably 5 miles down. please keep in mind this was shot at 300mm and then cropped/blown up 5X its original size. im just curious as to what kind it is, and where it may be from. it was heading north east (in the general direction of nyc)
orangeheli3ai.jpg

mkoch

I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can definitely see design characteristics from the -53 and -60 in it. Isn't this the same general model that the new Presidential helos are going to be at HMX-1?

Brett

mkoch

1. That's not a Super Puma. Look at the body where the tail boom starts. It flattens out, which is characteristic of the 92. This is in addition to the things on the side (I don't know the term for them) which also have a sharper trailing edge. The Puma series have much more rounded edges on the back, and the body blends into the tail boom.

btw, does this paint job look familiar?
Petrolium Helicopters Inc S-92

2. Unfortunately, Sikorsky lost the new HMX-1 contract. We were pushing and pushing, but just under a year ago the contract went to the US-101, which is now designated the VH-71. Fortunately the H-92 isn't dead, its still a strong competitor for a new airforce search and rescue contract, among other things.

mkoch

By EC-101, do you mean the US-101/EH-101? Because all the pictures I find show the EH101 as a 5 bladed rotorcraft, whereas the one the picture above appears to have 4 blades...

From this angle, I think the only other thing to be able to tell it apart from a -92 is which side of the frame the tail rotor is on, but the picture looks a bit too blurry to make that out. Any thoughts?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I too vote for the EH-101. Didn't think the S-92 had those sponsons on the side, but I could easily be wrong about that.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
EH-101 has short stubby sponsons, the 92 has longer sponsons.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those sponson thingies - do they generate lift in forward flight? They look kind of airfoil like.

Brett

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
It's an S-92 - and it's wearing PHI livery. A number of S-92's are being readied for delivery to PHI.

s92phi.jpg

mkoch

How many birds is PHI buying? They already had 3 or 4 when I was at Sikorsky in the summer, and they had at least 2 more sitting on the field in PHI paint.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hereby give myself a below average on my Googling skills and agree with the above.
wallbash.gif