• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thanks for your service.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Every now and then, something happens to remind me of the dedication and sacrifices of the men and women serving our country. Tonight, that reminder was a big punch in the gut for me.

Just as every time there is an accident, tomorrow someone will post that a Coast Guard helo crashed off Honolulu. I usually read these posts, feel a moment of regret and sorrow, and move on. Not this time.

I was on a visual approach to Honolulu tonight at 1500 feet when ATC called saying there was a Coast Guard helo at my 12 o'clock, 7 miles at 500 feet. A couple of seconds latter, ATC said they had lost primary radar contact on the helo and thought he might have crashed. Did we see anything? About a minute later I saw a single white light on the water, then a dull white glow and finally the crashed helo just under the surface. I reported this to ATC and they were able to get a position on the site. Within minutes there was a HANG C-17 and police helo at the scene with more on the way.

I did another trip to Maui and back, and was taxing in when the ground controller informed me that they had found 3 dead with 1 still missing.

It's been a few hours now and I keep thinking of that helo crew and their families. I've seen more than a few aircraft crashes and I've lost my share of friends. But for some reason, this one is hitting me hard.

To all of you currently serving and to the veterans among us - thanks.

To all of you actively flying - stay safe.

To all of you deployed or deploying - come back in one piece.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
HAL thanks for your service and the reminder that things can go to *&#! quickly in aviation.

Like you I've gone to Dover, Arlington, Punch Bowl and the like more times than I wanted. My prayers for the families of that crew.

phrogpilot73

Good post HAL. I've lost a number of friends over the years as well, and even if I didn't know them - every time there was a mishap I've felt heartfelt sorrow for all the families involved; we are truly a band of brothers.

For some unknown reason, every time I hear about a CG aircraft going down - I feel even more sorrow. Perhaps its because they fly in some of the worst conditions imaginable not for fame, money, or glory - but because they truly want to help their follow man. An honorable service lost honorable men today, and I'm proud to say that I'd serve alongside them any day and twice on Sunday.

HAL - thanks for your service, you've made sacrifices throughout your career as well.

Coasties - Semper Paratus.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
For some unknown reason, every time I hear about a CG aircraft going down - I feel even more sorrow. Perhaps its because they fly in some of the worst conditions imaginable not for fame, money, or glory - but because they truly want to help their follow man. An honorable service lost honorable men today, and I'm proud to say that I'd serve alongside them any day and twice on Sunday.

x2. Whenever I give the Veteran's Day talk at my kid's elementary school, I make sure the Coast Guard patch is on my slides. I tell the kids "You want real heroes, these are the guys. They tell them "You have to go out, you don't have to come back." It doesn't happen often, but it's a true bummer when they don't in fact come back.

I think they're probably the best example in the Federal govt of an organization accomplishing great things on a shoestring budget.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HAL,

it's especially hard when you are the first on the scene...before the crowd so to speak.

I witnessed a dual fatality Class A flight mishap and had to assume on scene commander at the site.

It stays with you for a long time.

phrogpilot73

it's especially hard when you are the first on the scene...before the crowd so to speak.

I witnessed a dual fatality Class A flight mishap and had to assume on scene commander at the site.

It stays with you for a long time.
I've only ever seen a buddy of mine cry once - and it was when his Dash-2 went down, and he had to assume on-scene commander.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
We had an EMS helicopter from Valley Air Care go down in the bay off South Padre Island not too long ago. Lost three people and one for sure was cut in half. As first responders its always tough to see a fatality and for my friends in the neighboring police departments that responded to the scene on the water and on the sand they have to deal with it. I kept getting texts most of the night from a friend that responded to the accident asking me what might have gone wrong to describing what he was seeing. I pray for all those that go up in the air to help their fellow man whether military or not.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I'm going to say one thing about Coast Guard helo drivers.......they fly regularly in conditions I would never even consider flying in......they regularly are put into dangerous situations to rescue people who do dumb things and cannot help themselves. So the next time you have to cancel a flight for a convective SIGMET, remember that the CG is probably working their magic in it.

I've only ever seen a buddy of mine cry once - and it was when his Dash-2 went down, and he had to assume on-scene commander.
That is a very ominous and difficult situation. I can't imagine the array of emotions experienced in such a situation. This is a truly humbling post...

busdriver

None
I know it's our motto, but the CG lives up to it in every way.

These things we do, that others may live.

Blue Skies boys.