• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The dead horse

red92gt

NFO? no. SNA? not yet. FNG? yep.
Alright guys, sorry to beat a dead horse but I really want to make sure I don't screw anything up more than I already will. This is my packing list for OCS July 9th. I'll have everything possible in Ziplock freezer bags and in a seabag if I can find one. Once again sorry for such an overdone post but I think I've improved off the ones that have been posted before, if anyone can help/make suggestions please do so. This candidate is trying to suck as little as possible

Clothes:
-will wear khakis/dress shoes/polo to pickup
-1 more wrinkle free polo/khakis
-5 pair of medium height white socks
-5 pair skivvies
-1 pair compression shorts
-3 pair black Thorlo combat boot socks
-my Bates lightweight boots
-2 pair go-fasters

-should I take any shirts aside from the collared ones?

Hygiene Stuff:
-1 toothbrush
-1 toothpaste
-1 razor/extra blades
-1 pack of floss
-1 lg. and 1 sm. bottle mouthwash
-1 tube sunscreen
-1 bottle liquid soap
-moleskin/lotramin ultra/body glide

Misc. Stuff:
-2 Sharpie Rub-A-Dub markers
-6 in. ruler
-5 erasable black pens
-4 erasable red pens
-2 mechanical pencils
-1 eraser
-1 red LED headlamp
-$400 cash (lots of $1's and $5's)
-ATM card
-Driver's license
-Cell/charger for libo
-5 rolls of 1” white athletic tape
-2 rolls ½” white athletic tape

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
What the hell do you need a headlamp for? It's been a long time, but we were rarely allowed to use our "moonbeams" except for humps.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Headlamp is nice for writing in the rack and prepping gear after lights. The skivvies will probably just get stowed in the civilian gear locker for the duration. Nobody wears underwear at OCS...you will wear silky PT shorts the entire time under your cammies. No need for any civilian gear other than the civvies you bring for libo. Just remember to try and keep the gear to a minimum. List looks pretty good.

Bring a copy of your orders with you. Keep them in your civilian gear bag for libo.

red92gt

Alright, good stuff. One more question I thought of- what's the best way to transport the $400 in cash? I'm sure it won't fit in my wallet, maybe in a Ziplock or something people can't see?

zuggerat

red92 you're going to seniors right? If so, should the 10 weekers bring more of any one thing since our program is a bit longer?

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Red, take 300 in $100 bills. You shouldn't have trouble fitting that and some small bills in your wallet. You'll spend the 300 at large and small bag issue. It's actually less....between 220 and 260 usually. The smaller bills are for haircuts ($6.25) and other bull$hit for the PX call. There's an ATM right there at the PX on Brown Field.I ended up putting my wallet in the civilian gear locker at both jrs and snrs and just keeping a small ziplock in my wall locker for small bills and change from PX/haircuts.

Zugg, you don't need to bring any thing more than that to combined. You'll have plenty of time during your 6 libos to get more hygiene gear as you run low.

zuggerat

red92gt said:
Alright, good stuff. One more question I thought of- what's the best way to transport the $400 in cash? I'm sure it won't fit in my wallet, maybe in a Ziplock or something people can't see?

It's kinda like jail... hide anything you don't want them to find in your anus...:icon_tong

Killer2

TRONS!
None
I wanna see what happens when a staff member is walking by and see someone with a head lamp. I can see it now you are sitting there on you camp stool looking for something in you foot locker when you Plt. Sgt. walks by and ask WTF candidate? You shine that light in his face as you look up... I will leave the rest to your imagination.
Ok I am not saying don't bring the headlamp, but I could never write letters in my rack. If I so much as touched the pillow, I became narcoleptic. I remember turning off many a moonbeam while on fire watch , because guys would pass out in the rack studying, reading/writing letters.
Less CRAP is always your best option. Work smarter, not harder.

red92gt

Are the moonbeams always available? Or can you get them only at certain times, making the headlamp a useful thing? If I can avoid buying/bringing anything I will

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Killer2 said:
I wanna see what happens when a staff member is walking by and see someone with a head lamp. I can see it now you are sitting there on you camp stool looking for something in you foot locker when you Plt. Sgt. walks by and ask WTF candidate? You shine that light in his face as you look up... I will leave the rest to your imagination.
Ok I am not saying don't bring the headlamp, but I could never write letters in my rack. If I so much as touched the pillow, I became narcoleptic. I remember turning off many a moonbeam while on fire watch , because guys would pass out in the rack studying, reading/writing letters.
Less CRAP is always your best option. Work smarter, not harder.

Nobody bugged us while we were up in the middle of the night; staff would walk in and out of their office and the Company area but not usually walk down the squadbay to inquire into our activities (as long as we were reasonably quiet and discreet, of course). Our squadbay was pitch dark, too. When I was in a company billet I was suprised to see other platoons with the lights at 25% for an hour or 2 after lights while people squared away stuff. Another Platoon was told to be "quiet ninjas, scurrying around in the middle of the night". When the power went out and we were doing rifle maintenance in a dim squadbay, a lot of guys broke out their headlamps; again, without problems.

The moonbeams are always available but they suck and break. That and it ties up a hand, and when you're searching for crap in your footlocker at 2am, it helps to have 2 hands.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
you need way more underwear and socks, 5 pairs isnt going to cut it, some will literally be destroyed out there, double your number at least. Also bring more green t shirts to augment waht you get there sometimes a fresh t shirt will make a world of difference in how you feel.

Killer2

TRONS!
None
mmx1 said:
Nobody bugged us while we were up in the middle of the night.
Well then maybe it was just my staff that played games up untill Week 6 of 6. We won the drill comp, only to run up stairs and play two-sheets-and-a-blanket. We had staff members **** with us non stop. just my experience you wanna buy the headlamp,then by all means.