• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Future: F-22 and F-35

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I've searched and can't find much at all about when the Navy is supposed to be getting the F-22 and the F-35.

The wikipedia article about the F-35 says the F-35 is supposed to enter the Navy in 2012. Is this legit? And what are the rumors circulating about the raptor?

Lonestar155

is good to go
The F-22 is strictly for the AF and will never go into Marine or Navy inventory. Imagine how much more it would cost to prepare the Raptor with carrier configurations. Larger wingspan, new structural design, tail hook, etc...SNA's should know these things haha. Just giving you a bad time.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
F-22 is an AF bird.

As far as the F-35: 2012 seems reasonable but will probably continue to get pushed back.

snake020

Contributor
In the 90s the Navy looked at getting its own version of the Raptor (or something similar) but that got scrapped.

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
That's a bummer. I would have loved to have had a shot at flying the raptor.

Does anybody think that people like me who are going to OCS in 2007 will have a shot at flying the F-35, or will I be coming in too early?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
That's a bummer. I would have loved to have had a shot at flying the raptor.

Even the Air Force guys can't select raptors right now. Supposedly they are only taking viper and eagle drivers with 1500 hours. Who knows when the first class of nuggets will go straight to Raptors.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
Does anybody think that people like me who are going to OCS in 2007 will have a shot at flying the F-35, or will I be coming in too early?

To answer your question it seems that the common practice is to bring in the most exprienced pilots to the new fleet squadrons of these aircraft. If you're in long enough though I suppose its possible. Worry about that later... keep your focus on prepping for OCS.

I heard 2013 for the F-35C on the Marine side.

snake020

Contributor
If it is the joint strike fighter, why is its designation F instead of F/A?

And for a while, the Raptor, whose whole basis was anti-air, had the F/A tag. I dont' get it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So even in the days following the F-117 trick, Congress still falls for it eh?

I wonder if that had a lot to do with the fact that the Air Force is more "class sytem" as far as aviation goes than the Navy. If you don't fly Eagles, you're nothing. Strike Eagles aren't even good enough.

snake020

Contributor
I wonder if that had a lot to do with the fact that the Air Force is more "class sytem" as far as aviation goes than the Navy. If you don't fly Eagles, you're nothing. Strike Eagles aren't even good enough.

I'm not on the ops side, but that doesn't seem to hold. The 90th is the Strike Eagle squadron here and they are the pride of the base. Might have something to do with the fact they are the 2nd oldest active fighter squadron in the AF too.