• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Future: F-22 and F-35

Lawman

None
Yeah, don't hold your breath on that one. More like 2013-15 timeframe.

Brett

Yeah just check out the info from his link where it says "First Flight." I guess the website in question doesnt understand the differnce between a technology demonstrator and an actual production aircraft. The Prototype F-35 hadnt even had its maiden flight yet and its almost out of 2006 to do it in. Seeing how long it took to get the 18 E/F into service from paper to the fleet Id say two years is a bit more then optimistic.

HUDcripple

pilot
Speaking of the RAG, I haven't heard of any plans for a 2-seat JSF trainer. How will that work? I can just imagine a metric sh1t-ton of sims before actually flying. After the TS sim experience, who in their right mind would volunteer for the pipeline? I mean, they won't have the Jdizzle or Yeller there will they?

The A-7 never had a 2-seat version, and that worked out OK.

When we were standing up VFA-122 a team from the JSF program dropped by to ask "how would you do this if you didn't have 2-seaters". The main thing was extra sims, but also better cockpit recorders, longer briefs and debriefs, and maybe even datalink to see what the student sees. Lots of chase aircraft sorties(which is how the A-7 did it; the F-117 uses T-38s to chase). Not being able to demo maneuvers is going to be the biggest limitation, so I guess the RPs will just have to keep trying until the lightbulb comes on.

The decision is all about the $$$, and I think all those chase sorties are going to cost more than building a T-bird, but what do I know.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

What's the deal here then? Was it not used as a trainer?

TA-7C_156787_.jpg

Lawman

None
What's the deal here then? Was it not used as a trainer?

TA-7C_156787_.jpg

TA-7C - two-seat trainer version for US Navy, 24 converted from A-7B, 36 from A-7C. Upgraded to A-7E standard in 1984. There is also the TA-7K - two-seat trainer version for Air National Guard (30 built). And the TA-7H - two-seat trainer version for Greece and TA-7P - two-seat trainer version for Portugal.

There was also a training variant of the F-8 Crusader however it was mearly a demonstrator and did not go into use.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TA-7C - two-seat trainer version for US Navy, 24 converted from A-7B, 36 from A-7C. Upgraded to A-7E standard in 1984. There is also the TA-7K - two-seat trainer version for Air National Guard (30 built). And the TA-7H - two-seat trainer version for Greece and TA-7P - two-seat trainer version for Portugal.

There was also a training variant of the F-8 Crusader however it was mearly a demonstrator and did not go into use.

Yes, thank you, I know. I was asking the person that seemed to have flown them.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None

First A-7As were aquired in FY-64, the TA-7C was not aquired until FY-75.

http://www.vought.com/heritage/products/html/a-7quant.html

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
The decision is all about the $$$, and I think all those chase sorties are going to cost more than building a T-bird, but what do I know.

I think design might have something to do with it, especially in the B version with that lift fan right behind the cockpit. There doesn't seem to be much room for another slot, unless they maybe lengthened the fuselage. I don't think it's happening either way.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

I think you meant the F-8 had no two seater, save one or two made. Otherwise, I'm not sure how I logged 6 hours in the TA-7C as a mid all those years ago.

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
Speaking of the RAG, I haven't heard of any plans for a 2-seat JSF trainer. How will that work? I can just imagine a metric sh1t-ton of sims before actually flying. After the TS sim experience, who in their right mind would volunteer for the pipeline? I mean, they won't have the Jdizzle or Yeller there will they?

Tomcats had no stick in the back. RIO had to trust a guy who had never flown the jet except for the SIM. Obviously, no WSO/RIO in JSF so I'm sure it will be figured out by the time my kids come out of flight school.