• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great, Constantly Changing Picture Gallery, Troisième partie: la vengeance!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I paused before watching this as it is Ward Carroll but it ended up being what I thought was a really good watch, where the S-3 pilot in the EA-6B landing mishap on the USS Enterprise in November 1998 gives his account of what happened. Carroll wisely lets him speak without interruption for most of the video.

This mishap I remember well from my time in Whidbey, and later when I was going through the RAG where a few of the instructors who were in 130 at the time still had some really bitter feelings about it. IIRC the Wing LSO stayed on and waved them on the subsequent cruise.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I paused before watching this as it is Ward Carroll but it ended up being what I thought was a really good watch, where the S-3 pilot in the EA-6B landing mishap on the USS Enterprise in November 1998 gives his account of what happened. Carroll wisely lets him speak without interruption for most of the video.

This mishap I remember well from my time in Whidbey, and later when I was going through the RAG where a few of the instructors who were in 130 at the time still had some really bitter feelings about it. IIRC the Wing LSO stayed on and waved them on the subsequent cruise.

Dang, Walleye has aged! Then again I left VS-22 in 2000 so it’s been a long time. I saw the mishap live.. I talked to Gumby (The Prowler pilot) in FDC during the hot switch! And then I went down to the Ready Room and sat with everybody else watching Plat cam. What Walleye didn’t mention or maybe I missed it but.. it was the first day of cruise and Paddles landed aircraft THREE more times on a fouled deck during cruise!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Dang, Walleye has aged! Then again I left VS-22 in 2000 so it’s been a long time. I saw the mishap live.. I talked to Gumby (The Prowler pilot) in FDC during the hot switch! And then I went down to the Ready Room and sat with everybody else watching Plat cam. What Walleye didn’t mention or maybe I missed it but.. it was the first day of cruise and Paddles landed aircraft THREE more times on a fouled deck during cruise!

Yeah, that didn't help the bitter feelings for the Prowler guys.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What Walleye didn’t mention or maybe I missed it but.. it was the first day of cruise and Paddles landed aircraft THREE more times on a fouled deck during cruise!
Jesus, really? I'd always heard that the lead Paddles in that mishap got smacked pretty hard by the mishap board, that's very surprising to learn he kept his qual.

taxi1

pilot
View attachment 40878
B-17s in the Kingman, AZ AAF boneyard, 1946. About 5,500 aircraft were flown here for sale or scrapping in 45-46. A low-time B-17 could be had for about $13,000 (roughly $250K in current USD).
I love flying, and I really love Naval aviation, but it’s sad how much effort we put into killing each other. Aliens must look at this and think they (humanity) need more rectal probes.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Jesus, really? I'd always heard that the lead Paddles in that mishap got smacked pretty hard by the mishap board, that's very surprising to learn he kept his qual.
You heard wrong! Nobody was slapped but the poor enlisted guy that controls the red/green light. Air Boss, nothing, CAG paddles, nothing. (In fact one eventually became CO of one of the VFA squadrons, I think Gunslingers), Controlling LSO is a Captain at FedEx, Backup is a Captain at JetBlue, 1 LSO on the platform, CO of a VS squadron and 1 LSO, DCAG and was on track to get a star if he wouldn’t have been fired.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Activity At Chinese Submarine Shipyard Draws Interest

1bfd5ac2c495638b8a48416a89667469

17k00b.jpg

Fascinating.

Llarry

Recent orders will put the total of E-2Ds in the Japanese Air Self Defense Force up to 18 aircraft. And I believe they still have some E-2Cs in service as well. Not to mention their four Boeing 767 AWACS (E-767) aircraft. Given their perilous position in the world, their desire for situational awareness is totally understandable.

E-2D JASDF.jpg

Llarry

To my knowledge, the Imperial Japanese Navy of WW2 was the only navy to build aircraft-carrying submarines and sub-carried attack aircraft. The I-400 class boats were very large -- about three times the displacement of a U.S. fleet submarine of the era. The I-400s were built with sails offset to port and a starboard tubular hangar for up to three Aichi M6A floatplane attack aircraft. A flotilla of four boats with 10 M6As embarked departed Japan in July of 1945 heading for Ulithi Atoll to attack Allied ships there. The war ended before the attack could be carried out.

As is often the case with WW2 Japanese ships and aircraft, surviving photos are small and grainy.

Photo 1 -- An I-400 class submarine in profile, with catapult visible on foredeck and aircraft handling crane pictured.
Photo 2 -- Aichi M6A attack floatplane.
Photo 3 -- Three I-400 boats at war's end with a U.S. fleet boat outboard.

IJN I-400.jpgIJN Aichi M6A1.jpg
IJN aircraft-carrying SSs.jpg