• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The HIGH jump (10M) and the LONG swim in Khakis (40min or is it years?)

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Let's see. Air conditioning, phones, no 10 m, no 40 year. Yup-you guys are pussies now.

Hahah we're actually required to have phones now. We even had a "phone inspection" last week, not kidding. I think it's an AT/FP measure... who knows.

But hey! 2010 did the 10m and the 40 year!!!!!!

UMichfly

pilot
None
Let's see. Air conditioning, phones, no 10 m, no 40 year. Yup-you guys are pussies now.

Od_Man_with_Cane.gif

Back in my day...uphill both ways...kids these days. Looks like A4's and Catmando are going to have help kicking kids off their lawns shortly. :D

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I can see the need for phones (besides, everyone has a cell phone the moment they are allowed) and while the a/c is a nice touch, it's not really needed. Getting ride of the 10m and 40 year is just doesn't make sense to this young JO. I thought that was supposed to be a simulation of jumping off a carrier and making sure you can stay afloat/swim if required. Does anyone know if they have a similar jump at Great Lakes for enlisted?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can see the need for phones (besides, everyone has a cell phone the moment they are allowed) and while the a/c is a nice touch, it's not really needed. Getting ride of the 10m and 40 year is just doesn't make sense to this young JO. I thought that was supposed to be a simulation of jumping off a carrier and making sure you can stay afloat/swim if required. Does anyone know if they have a similar jump at Great Lakes for enlisted?

That argument doesn't make sense since ROTC and OCS guys don't have to do a 10 m jump or the long swim.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
We did a 10m jump at OCS in Pensacola hombre.

Really? I remember "just" a 12 foot (or maybe it was 15 foot/5m) platform in the training pool near the wood chip track and bowling alley, but that's going back a few years.

Either way, the swim evolutions were good confidence builders (for people who started out afraid of water), good team building (anytime somebody showed some heart), and good for a few laughs (at the expense of the clumsy ones).

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Really? I remember "just" a 12 foot (or maybe it was 15 foot/5m) platform in the training pool near the wood chip track and bowling alley, but that's going back a few years.

Yeah, all the aviation studs broke away from the class to do some swim practice and the jump.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Yeah, all the aviation studs broke away from the class to do some swim practice and the jump.

Hmm, good deal. Good improvement to the program too and I gotta hand it to you- I'm too chicken to do anything over the 5m unless someone makes me (although I have done 5m head-first) and nobody's ever made me do the 10m

FlyingSquidz

I've jumped a 10 meter, and the one at NAS Pensacola is not 10m. that platform we jumped off was not even close.

10 meters is the top height in Olympic diving.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, yeah... they are getting rid of the .....40 year swim. We're the last class to have completed them.

40 year swim...wow, you'd be retired before you got to Pensacola, not to mention pretty tired and skin like a prune!

Clux4

Banned
Getting ride of the 10m and 40 year is just doesn't make sense to this young JO. I thought that was supposed to be a simulation of jumping off a carrier and making sure you can stay afloat/swim if required. Does anyone know if they have a similar jump at Great Lakes for enlisted?

I heard they Marine Corps did away with the jump portion in the CSWQ but could not find anything to substantiate it. I am sure those guys at TBS can confirm or deny this. That may very well be a reason.