• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The HIGH jump (10M) and the LONG swim in Khakis (40min or is it years?)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I heard they Marine Corps did away with the jump portion in the CSWQ but could not find anything to substantiate it. I am sure those guys at TBS can confirm or deny this. That may very well be a reason.

It dates back to WWII and ships being abandoned from sustaining combat damage. You may well have had to leap over the side and had to get over the fear factor before you had to do it for real as well as learn how to cross your arms to avoid injury. People who are afraid or hesitate to jump from that height can really slow the evolution down. It's critical to get in the water and away from ship ASAP as you can get sucked down with it or get fragged by explosions. Tell me they haven't dropped the underwater swim with simulated burning fuel on water?!?

phrogpilot73

40 year swim...wow, you'd be retired before you got to Pensacola, not to mention pretty tired and skin like a prune!
Euphemism for when you have to swim 40 minutes non-stop in khakis. I forget the minimum distance you have to complete. At the end of the 40 minutes, it feels like it was 40 years...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Euphemism for when you have to swim 40 minutes non-stop in khakis. I forget the minimum distance you have to complete. At the end of the 40 minutes, it feels like it was 40 years...

The API flight suit mile swim took about 40 minutes if you were in good shape. But I heard that back in the day it was upstream BOTH ways and there were ice floes to contend with... even in June. :)

I'm coming up on my helo dunker requal in a few months. The last time I went was before the revamped lights and sound "Universal Studios" dunkers came online. Kinda looking forward to it, other than the water-up-my-nose part.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I think it was 1100m, but it's been a while. It was more a pain in the ass than anything else, really. Well, maybe more in the literal sense. As opposed to the 10m jump, which was, in my case, a LITERAL pain in the ass. Chlorinated pressure washing of your colon, anyone? I hear it does wonders for your complexion...

Pugs

Back from the range
None
The API flight suit mile swim took about 40 minutes if you were in good shape. But I heard that back in the day it was upstream BOTH ways and there were ice floes to contend with... even in June. :).

Don't forget the sharks and foot long leeches. I swear, these kids ;)

phrogpilot73

I'm coming up on my helo dunker requal in a few months. The last time I went was before the revamped lights and sound "Universal Studios" dunkers came online. Kinda looking forward to it, other than the water-up-my-nose part.
The new dunker is way better than the old one...

H60Gunner

Contributor
As opposed to the 10m jump, which was, in my case, a LITERAL pain in the ass. Chlorinated pressure washing of your colon, anyone? I hear it does wonders for your complexion...

They didn't teach you the "butt cheek squeeze" technique? I thought everybody knew that....;)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Oh yeah, sure they taught that. But I was feeling way too toxic that day and was looking for a way to cleanse. And cleanse it did. I think it pressure washed the entire length of my intestinal tract, to be precise.

Rubiks06

pilot
To answer the enlisted training question. You do get to jump on your initial swim test and you swim 50m. In the old battle stations pool portion you used to jump off with a life vest too. Im with Chief.....if you are afraid of heights and water...maybe NAVAL AVIATION isn't the place for you...just saying is all.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The API flight suit mile swim took about 40 minutes if you were in good shape. But I heard that back in the day it was upstream BOTH ways and there were ice floes to contend with... even in June. :)

..and the boot in your face when you're dash last during blindfold ride?