• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The need for Speed

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Yeah, the streak eagle was an American winning machine. Almost 100,000 feet in 3.5 minutes.

Of note is that the Streak Eagle didn't just take off, point the nose up, and go. It actually followed the Mach-cruise-climb schedule, which involved leveling off, accelerating, climbing, then repeating the same sequence over and over.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Is the limiting factor in the -18 the thrust available, or the aerodynamics of the airframe itself? Or both?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Of note is that the Streak Eagle didn't just take off, point the nose up, and go. It actually followed the Mach-cruise-climb schedule, which involved leveling off, accelerating, climbing, then repeating the same sequence over and over.

That would be the venerable Rutowski Climb Profile that has been around for many decades but works.

Essentially it is a subsonic climb to approx. 20k, then an unload and actual decent to a supersonic mach, then a resumption to the climb profile supersonic.

Fastest way for us to get to very high altitudes long ago. Probably still is.:D

PDF link here on page 7.23

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
That would be the venerable Rutowski Climb Profile that has been around for many decades but works.

Essentially it is a subsonic climb to approx. 20k, then an unload and actual decent to a supersonic mach, then a resumption to the climb profile supersonic.

Whoa!!!! PDF from the old dude! What has this world come to? My dad can't even figure out his DVR!

Luv ya Cat!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor

That link will make you understand why everyone hates calculus...

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
So, a little "war story" here.

1970 in Danang, the squadron receives an F-4B right out of NARF. New paint and nothing hanging on the wings.

Well it needs a test flight before it can be put into combat service. Of course I get to go on this one.

Pilot and I take off and head north toward the DMZ doing all the required maintenance test flight items, including running up to 1.3 mach to test ramp programming.

When the tests are complete we are somewhere close to the DMZ. As we turn around the old pilot asks "I wonder how fast this thing will really go, want to find out"? My response - does a bear sh*t in the woods.

Up to 40K, unload and light the burners, call Danang radar and ask them to monitor out speed run.

At the end of the run the inside gauges registered about 2.2 mach, Danang radar said 1500+ mph.

Arrived overhead Danang with low fuel light, spiral approach to touch down. Fun was had by all, after all who would know what we did?

Exit the aircraft thinking we had pulled a fast one and then notice that the fresh paint on the leading edges of the wings and the nose of the radar dome was "burnt off". Explain that one to the Maint Officer, who by the way writes your fitness report.

:D

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or write up a HAZREP for the substandard paint that burns off at speeds which were absolutely we swear to G-d nowhere near all that fast, really.

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Or write up a HAZREP for the substandard paint that burns off at speeds which were absolutely we swear to G-d nowhere near all that fast, really.

Fester - you are much wiser than I - I perdict a bright future for you, you know, if you ever get to "go fast" :D:D

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
When you pointy nose guys (and E2 types) are saying "unload the jet," do you just mean nosing it over and putting the pointy end at the little houses, or are you trying to get it at less than 1 g for some kind of jet aerodynamics voodoo that I'll never comprehend?

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
When you pointy nose guys (and E2 types) are saying "unload the jet," do you just mean nosing it over and putting the pointy end at the little houses, or are you trying to get it at less than 1 g for some kind of jet aerodynamics voodoo that I'll never comprehend?

Unloading the jet = 0 g's - In the F-4, unloading and lighting the burners was worth about 50 kts almost immediately

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Been to mach 2.0 at just a tad over 50k feet in an F-14D. A very smooth ride.

F-14 A will easily hit 1.5 to 1.6 in an easy descent from 40k in AB. It just wants to keep going faster.

Peacetime Training Rules didn't allow a lot of Tomcat aircrews to fight below 10K, but F-14A intakes come alive in thick air and have a ram effect boosting thrust. We got to vary from stateside TR over Oman and Saudi Arabia and see what the jet could do. Very impressive when unleashed down low (same engines made F-111 go speed of light on the deck rivaled only by the Thud).

Hauling ass down low over Saudi returning from Iraqi airspace after Desert Storm mission. Wings are back due to speed, not for pretty picture

LowLevel.jpg

HJ Photo

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Induced drag is a function of G-loading. You turn tighter by creating more lift via more G, causing the a/c to accelerate in the direction your lift vector is pointing. Downside to this is that induced drag becomes very high, which is why F-16s and such require full burner to yoink the aircraft around in those 9G turns. And why instantaneous G available is almost always greater than sustained G available (you bleed down from the former to the latter).

Thus, if you unload, you're doing the reverse. You remove induced drag, and all available thrust goes towards making you accelerate in velocity, not direction. I bet it would work in a P-3 too. NFOs/Tube rats might want to kill you though . . . :icon_tong