• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Oldest Aircraft on active duty? (P-3 vs Phrog vs Huey)

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
thanks, prop. i would have guessed well before that.
that makes me wonder what is the oldest us navy aircraft on active duty.
i'm guessing its a C-130 or maybe a huey.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
thanks, prop. i would have guessed well before that.
that makes me wonder what is the oldest us navy aircraft on active duty.
i'm guessing its a C-130 or maybe a huey.

I'd guess a USMC Phrog.

Also, did the Tomcat restriction apply to cat shots, too, or was this just a ground roll thing?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
weren't hueys around before phrogs?

i guess both are a bit like me.

older than dirt.

phrogpilot73

Deliveries of the current version, the HH/UH-1N, began in 1971.
Youngsters.

From the link: "The UH-1N could be in the fleet until 2014 when the last UH-1Y is delivered."

My squadron is slated to transition to the MV-22 in 2016. 2 years after the last UH-1Y is delivered, and the first Phrogs hit the fleet 7 years BEFORE the UH-1N. Now that's some staying power...

KBayDog

My squadron is slated to transition to the MV-22 in 2016. 2 years after the last UH-1Y is delivered, and the first Phrogs hit the fleet 7 years BEFORE the UH-1N. Now that's some staying power...

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't your Phrogs being fitted with ILS right now? That's right, ladies and gentlemen, after 45+ years, the mighty Battle Phrog (fleet version) will be capable of shooting approaches other than TACANs and GCAs.

And, FWIW, the very day we flew off the boat, our three UH-1Ns were transferred, and sent to the Boneyard with 48 hours. Our 12 Phrogs? All 12 of them were transferred to other units.

Lawman

None
And, correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't your Phrogs being fitted with ILS right now? That's right, ladies and gentlemen, after 45+ years, the mighty Battle Phrog (fleet version) will be capable of shooting approaches other than TACANs and GCAs.

ILS? hell we finally get VOR in the BLK III Longbow... First Unit to receive them next year.