• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

    Go here:

    Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

I'm not sure wifi speed would change how much I hate flying commercial. A cattle car is a cattle car no matter how much Internet it has.
True. What Part 121 Air Carriers are selling, as an experience - sucks. The promise of eventually getting you to your destination, alive and safe" is ultimately what you are purchasing. There is little investment in comfort and convenience. Regulation, the labor model, security have all created an experience that just sucks. Moreover as a paying customer you have little or no choice or control. You as a passenger are the object of compliance standards.

Not to mention the humans that deliver service - gate agents and flight attendants. Both overworked, underpaid and have little emotional energy to take care or show a modicum of concern for customers. These roles hide behind "here for your safety".

Contrast that to what I see in FBO's everywhere with private/charter/fractional aviation. The .01% who can afford it have an incredible experience surrounded by comfort and world class service - from pilots to cabin crew to ramp and FBO staff.
 
Last edited:
I practically never fly United, but fly Delta a lot. The air line is great, but the WiFi is definitely a weak part of the Delta customer experience.

That being said, Elon is a douchebag.
And yet Elon is one of the top 10 most influential people in the world. Both things can be true.
 
True. What Part 121 Air Carriers are selling, as an experience - sucks. The promise of eventually getting you to your destination, alive and safe" is ultimately what you are purchasing. There is little investment in comfort and convenience. Regulation, the labor model, security have all created an experience that just sucks. Moreover as a paying customer you have little or no choice or control. You as a passenger are the object of compliance standards.

Not to mention the horrible humans that deliver service - gate agents and flight attendants. Both overworked, under paid and have little emotional energy to take care or show a modicum of concern for customers.

Contrast that to what I see in FBO's everywhere with private/charter/fractional aviation. The .01% who can afford it have an incredible experience surrounded by comfort and world class service - from pilots to cabin crew to ramp and FBO staff.
Thank deregulation. As for the cattle car experience - if you didn’t already know this, the average customer in economy class is responsible for almost none of an airline’s profit. Yes, that’s right, the vast majority of souls on board are at best a net neutral for the company’s quarterly statement. First class, business class, and the credit card programs are the real money makers for U.S. airlines, and attitudes reflect accordingly.

Search “The Economics of Airline Class” by Wendover Productions on YouTube.
 
It appears Delta’s purchase of a refinery does give them a competitive advantage. I do prefer Delta over United, but both are superior to American (I still remember the ticket agent taking our normal 27 lb stroller at the counter and carrying my daughter through the airport. American has a 25 lb limit on strollers, everyone else was either 50 lbs or didn’t care - to this day, we will never fly American again.)

 
It appears Delta’s purchase of a refinery does give them a competitive advantage. I do prefer Delta over United, but both are superior to American (I still remember the ticket agent taking our normal 27 lb stroller at the counter and carrying my daughter through the airport. American has a 25 lb limit on strollers, everyone else was either 50 lbs or didn’t care - to this day, we will never fly American again.)

Because of where I live, United is better for connections and itinerary choices.

Delta seems to cater more to the coasts than the middle. That’s their business model, and it works for them. It just doesn‘t work for a guy flying out of Wichita- one daily flight to ATL isn’t always “on the way” for me.
 
I have to go to Dallas for recurrency in the middle of summer, and the ONLY reason I'll fly American is so I can get a one-leg trip (skipping ATL) before the storms build.

As a result, my chance of getting to or from DFW on time is no more than 10%. My chance of getting to or from DFW within 2 hours of scheduled time is maybe 30%. The chance of my bags making it back home with me has finally rolled over 50%, so I guess we're winning there.

I would say 95% of the time, these issues have nothing to do with flow, weather, or weird ticketing issues. It has all been American's inability to either have an up jet or a crew available (or both).

Delta has always been my go to once Continental went away.
 
Back
Top