• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Think we should buy it? The Air Force in jeopardy of losing dominance of the sky

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

An even more shortsighted and idiotic quote from the SECAF in the article:

Roche also suggested that the F-35 might be sacrificed to salvage the F/A-22. He declared, “The F/A-22 is more important than the F-35, operationally.” The F-16, he went on, “is still a remarkable system, which is evolving more and more because of electronics, conformal fuel tanks, and other things. So we have ways to cope with a difficult future.”

HuggyU2

None
An even more shortsighted and idiotic quote from the SECAF in the article:
Note:
- that article is 5 years old;
- it was referred to as the F/A-22; now, it's just the F-22. Hmmm...
- Mr Roche retired from the Navy as a Captain, and was a recipient of the Arleigh Burke Fleet Trophy;
- was cited for 2 ethics violations just before he left the SecAF position;
- was a Northrop Grumman executive: gee, I wonder if that has any bearing on the fact that the RQ-4 Global Hawk got rammed into the inventory?

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Maybe the air force should just cut back on the golf courses and other luxuries that they like to build on all their bases... Seriously, I was up at Lackland just before Christmas. They couldn't buy a Christmas tree. But they were allowed to buy a flat panel monitor to put up the image of a christmas tree... Make sense to anyone else?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Note:
- that article is 5 years old;
- it was referred to as the F/A-22; now, it's just the F-22. Hmmm...
- Mr Roche retired from the Navy as a Captain, and was a recipient of the Arleigh Burke Fleet Trophy;
- was cited for 2 ethics violations just before he left the SecAF position;
- was a Northrop Grumman executive: gee, I wonder if that has any bearing on the fact that the RQ-4 Global Hawk got rammed into the inventory?

Well, he was a SWO......so that helps explain things. ;)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Gasp, the AF might not get EXACTLY what it wants.

I also found it interesting that the article mentioned corrosion etc playing a role in the aging of their aircraft. Funny how their aircraft are disintegrating after 20 years of being LAND BASED and the Navy/Marines can keep 20+ year jets flying after continuously operating them in a salt water environment.

On a serious side, does the AF G-limit any of their fighters in order to make them last longer (like the navy/marines)?

I don't know to what extent they max perform their jets, but it's got to be more than us. 20+ years of 9g fighting is simply going to wear the thing out. Same principle to our jets running out of trap life (Hornets anyway). Our ~20 year old Hornets are all starting to show corrosion problems as well, however I think the Navy is just simply more experienced in prevention and control. Plus I doubt the spend even a fraction of the man hours on the issue.

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
Why does it seem like Marines have a shiatty QOL IOT maintain combat ready equipment...

...While the AF pays to maintain a super QOL, then needs more funding to maintain combat ready equipment?

(Edit: That isn't supposed to be a cutting sarcastic quip, that really is sort of a quasi-question...I mean, am I off base on this?)

No offense taken at all. One thing you have to remember is that:

1. AF equipment is not engineered from the get go to be as robust as Naval equipment. It's more sensitive to the elements and we don't have the maintenance practices to keep many things at bay. You'd be surprised at the aircraft wash mentality in my old community even based in Souda and the Deid! There was none! Being an old aircraft DivO and AMO school grade I cringed at many things the AF does.

2. QOL is huge. That's the type of people the AF attracts, wimpy-whiny-psuedo-military folks make up nearly 40% of the AF. There's a part of 30% I think that's like people in this group ~true warriors. The rest are a mix of 5-and-out, or had nothing better the could think of to do in their lives and decided to try the military, but wanted to be in the least martial of the services...

mb1k

Yep. The clock says, "MAN TIME".
pilot
None
On a serious side, does the AF G-limit any of their fighters in order to make them last longer (like the navy/marines)?

On the Viper, HAL (onboard computer) limits the max G to 9.0. However, you can rapid onset Gz above that which requires maintenance inspection. If you've got external stores you're limited to 6.6 and then 5.5 depending on the mix of GBU, and drop tanks. That's about all I know.

Oh yeah, HAL doesn't limit your Gs when you load the stores on the weapons pages either, pilot still has to keep those in check manually. As we know, no Viper pilot has ever over-G'd his jet when carrying drops.:icon_wink

Lawman

None

Zego

First Lieutenant
Well.... if this one turns out to be as big a disappointment as the F-2 at least it will look good in the next Godzilla movie.
Hahaha, indeed. But I think that since this is a made by Japan, made for Japan airframe that it should be a sweet airframe. The F-2 was a USA/Japan co-production effort.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor