• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thinking about becoming an officer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I love that after going through his entire post, all you point out is the spelling errors.

Having served on officer selection boards, I can tell you most applications will not get a second look if peppered in spelling/grammatical errors.

First impressions mean a lot when you are just another pile of papers in a stack.

asm2

Here is the link to the officer recruiting page. http://www.navy.com/careers/officerplanner/ This should give you all the info you need about the opportunities the navy has to offer. Since you seem to have an interest in law, you can also be commissioned as a JAG officer and the navy could pay for your law school (I believe this is still going on) I would check into that as well. Also, it seems like a major driving force behind your decision to become a naval officer is the job market. If that's the case, I would wait until you finish your masters degree because a lot more doors will be open to you with a graduate degree, because you really need to have the desire to do this to be successful, and this is coming from experience. However if the Navy is what you want, I have to say as a Naval officer it is one hell of a ride, but be sure you are willing to accept the good with the bad and understand what you would be getting yourself into. It is a lifestyle not just a job. Good luck.

ShrinkSkat

Banned
Having served on officer selection boards, I can tell you most applications will not get a second look if peppered in spelling/grammatical errors.

First impressions mean a lot when you are just another pile of papers in a stack.

Yes I quite agree, but come on..We're communicating through a discussion forum. I came here to get advice. Not to have someone evaluate my grammar. :)

To everyone else, thank you very much for the helpful insight. This is a decision worth serious consideration, so I will try to learn as much as I can.

Thanks

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here is the link to the officer recruiting page. http://www.navy.com/careers/officerplanner/ Since you seem to have an interest in law, you can also be commissioned as a JAG officer and the navy could pay for your law school (I believe this is still going on) .

Negative, bum gouge. In fact, the Navy doesn't pay for any newly commissioned officers law school, and hasn't the entire 15+ years I have been involved in recruiting. There is a very very small program for lateral transfer guys that are already navy officers. It will pay for law school. Does not apply to anyone who would apply off the street, as in this case. There is a Law Student Program, but it doesn't pay anything while in law school, just guarantees you the job later.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I am just curious as to why you want to be a Naval Officer? What was it that caught your attention? By the way, you will need to go over this in writing as a part of your package.

Do it becuase you have a passion and desire to lead. Go to war/protect the good of the country... etc.

Well why are you considering it? Is it just your "ace in the hole" option if things don't work out elsewhere?

Also, it seems like a major driving force behind your decision to become a naval officer is the job market.

Looking at what he listed as the careers he has attempted to get into and, the other options he is considering, It seems that one of his underlying motives is a desire to serve. Lets face it, not everyone thinks of the Navy as the perfect match for their goals in life right off that bat. If they did, then we wouldn't need recruiters.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes I quite agree, but come on..We're communicating through a discussion forum. I came here to get advice. Not to have someone evaluate my grammar. :)

Thanks

It's give and take my friend. If you don't take the time to write a quality post, to include correct spelling, why should I bother to reply with one.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.