• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Threat ID Cards

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I'm out in 29 Palms for DASC school right now, and a significant part of the course is learning threat aircraft and ground-based threats. Specifically, missions, ranges, targeting methods, and ordnance loadouts for each respective threat. Most of the Officers in the class have a good handle on things (myself included), but the majority of the class is Enlisted Marines. Quite a few of them are having trouble, and they (the students and the instructors) have asked the Officers in the class to help out.

I'm looking for a good set of threat ID flashcards, but I haven't been able to find one just yet. At least, not one well-made enough for me to give them. Specifically, I'm looking for a set that has a good visual representation of the threat AND a good listing of the categories I mentioned previously. I've found a couple sets of flashcards that meet one or the other criteria, but none that satisfy both. If it comes down to it, I'll spend the weekend doing my own set, but I'd rather just go wax some coyotes and jackrabbits.

Anyone have some good leads for me?

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The problem with a lot of that is the fact that the specific info on the threats is secret. It's all listed in the 3-1 if you have access to it. The best way "around that" is to use the info off GlobalSecurity.org or FAS.org and make your own unclass cards. If the Marines don't have access to the pub, then they shouldn't have that specific info.

Probably not the response you wanted.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Sorry, I should have been more specific. All the information that they need to know (and what's given to them in their pubs) is all UNCLASS. In fact, FAS.org is one of the resources the instructors used to build the pubs and the powerpoint class. Just looking for a method to expedite matters, so as to give the Marines more time to study.

And just for giving me an answer I didn't want to hear, no handoff to the FAC for you. Looks like you'll be burning holes in the sky while I send your compadres in instead. Ok, not really.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
The Army Air Defense Artillery puts out a computer based program called "Visual Aircraft Recognition" ... (https://airdefense.bliss.army.mil/vacr/) ... it's unclass

there is also the FM 44-80 Visual Aircraft Recognition manual ... very basis stuff there ... (https://airdefense.bliss.army.mil/fm4480/Default.htm) ... it's unclass

FM 1-402 Aviator's Recognition Manual, dated 1984, old but has some good pictures & info on systems that are still found in most 3rd World Countries ... I'm not sure where I picked mine up at and I'm not sure where to get one ... it's FOUO

another place to try would be NASIC... they put out some unclass stuff

try Janes Information Group

I'll also look and see if I have any powerpoint slides that might help

just some ideas, probably not what you are looking for though

S/F

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Jarhead, thanks for the info. Mucho CAS missions for you. I had to whoop on them some, but I got the instructors here to hook me up. When they realized I wanted information to help some of the struggling Enlisted Marines, though, they couldn't say yes fast enough. They gave me access to the LAAD school's pubs, which were a huge help.

29 Palms isn't so bad. ...As long as you like sweating your ass off and dealing with the local population of meth heads, desert rats, and general weirdness.

pdx

HSM Pilot
29 Palms isn't so bad. ...As long as you like sweating your ass off and dealing with the local population of meth heads, desert rats, and general weirdness.

Awesome, so replace meth heads with redneck meth heads, and desert rats with cockroaches and you have .... Pensacola.

Just kidding. How do the two actually compare?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Um, yeah... There really is no comparison, I'm afraid. There is literally NOTHING sane to do here, whereas there were always islands--however small they were--of sanity in Pensacola. On the plus side, there's lots of Marines, but on the other hand, there's nothing BUT Marines out here. Unless you count the afore-mentioned meth personnel, that is. WX wise, you would think that being in the high desert would be hot, but bearable. Because, hey, it's a DRY heat. No such luck. 125 with 40-50% humidity is at least as bad as the liquid air in Pensacola.

I've taken to killing jackrabbits and using their corpses as bait for coyotes. (Hence my post in that one firearms thread.) Apparently, it's quite the popular pastime around here, as I've already run into every single one of my instructors out in the BLM land. Watched the school OIC gun down two jackrabbits in as many seconds with an M1 Carbine after I flushed them yesterday afternoon. Remind me not to piss him off.

Oh, and I actually saw a coyote chasing a bird the other day. Sadly, the bizarre nature of the event was slightly lessened by the fact that the bird was only a quail and not a roadrunner. He got the bird (suck on THAT, Wylie), but then I shot him with my buddy's .30-30. Oh well, at least he died happy...

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Then don't jump through ORM hoops. STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!

Seriously, wear a helmet and don't ride drunk. That's about as much control as The Man will have over you. If even that.

Other good gouge: wear riding boots, a camelback, and carry a cell phone. It's safer/more fun to ride with a buddy.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Then don't jump through ORM hoops. STICK IT TO THE MAN!!!

Seriously, wear a helmet and don't ride drunk. That's about as much control as The Man will have over you. If even that.

Other good gouge: wear riding boots, a camelback, and carry a cell phone. It's safer/more fun to ride with a buddy.

You obviously haven't seen the new motorcycle-related ridiculousness that has permeated Cherry Point. Here's to hoping the retardation has not spread to Yuma yet.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
You obviously haven't seen the new motorcycle-related ridiculousness that has permeated Cherry Point. Here's to hoping the retardation has not spread to Yuma yet.

I used to be the DOSS at 203, but I've pretty much blocked that from my memory. What does that tell you?

What is the new motorcycle gouge there?

I can tell you that the MAG-13 DOSS (for the next month or so) will not spread BS. He's actually a reasonable man.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
There's a whole ridiculousness of not being able to ride a motorcycle on base until you've spend a few days going through some circle-jerk Navy motorcycle safety course...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a whole ridiculousness of not being able to ride a motorcycle on base until you've spend a few days going through some circle-jerk Navy motorcycle safety course...

In all honesty, the MSF course is a good one, even for experienced riders. That said, I don't even have a sticker on my bike and don't ride it on base - just too much hassle.

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I used to be the DOSS at 203, but I've pretty much blocked that from my memory. What does that tell you?

What is the new motorcycle gouge there?

I can tell you that the MAG-13 DOSS (for the next month or so) will not spread BS. He's actually a reasonable man.

Let's see...
  • Motorcycle Owner-specific AOMs
  • Motorcycle Owner-specific Safety Standdowns
  • Required safety classes for owners who've already had an MSF class or the like
  • Required safety classes for 4-wheeler/dirtbike owners
  • Command wants a copy of the MSF card, insurance, and license
  • Command requires DOSS (or DOSS-appointed rep) to personally inspect Marines bikes and PPE
That's the jist of it at least... it seems like they just want to make it too painful for anyone to get/ride a bike. I'm somewhat glad I sold my bike before moving to CP. I'm hoping I won't have to jump through as many hoops to get another one in Yuma - and I even have all the legal stuff.