• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Time of Year and Selection Rates

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I ran a couple of searches on 'fiscal year' and 'selection rates' and couldn't find anything. I know some of you have been involved with the selection process behind the scenes and in general may have heard rumors but, does the time of the year have any effect on how many people the boards select?

I know they have a number they're looking to push through every year and I believe I heard the Navy's fiscal year ends in October? Do they typically accept more up front, try to play catch up on numbers at the end of the year, or is it a pretty fair spread? (i.e. each board selects X# of people every month)

This may sound like a stupid question but for someone on the borderline such as myself, this could make an impact on my selection/non-selection.

schwarti

Contributor
Definitely been asked before, but I couldn't find it either - it mostly crops up in semi-related threads. I've heard that some years, they come up short at the end of the FY and so it can be a little easier, but I've also heard that if they've selected a few too many, it can get really tight at the end of the FY.

To give a direct answer - from the very little that I know, it CAN have an impact, but it's hard to predict. Essentially, you just have to wait and see.

new user

Hah, ha. I was wondering that myself. I was hoping to get my package in for September, being that it is the end of the fiscal year and maybe I could sneak on in because they had to fill slots. But I wasn't able to get it in because my recommendations are still being written.

Mr. Blonde

pilot
^^^Same exact thing for me, although isn't it the end of October the year ends? I'm not sure, if so then next month's board would be the last one this FY.

new user

I don't know when the fiscal year for the Navy ends. I thought it would be the same for everyone else, but I'm I don't know.

Mr. Blonde

pilot
Roger that, well here's to hoping they're feeling extra generous come next month with the start of the new FY and plenty of spots to fill. :D

new user

I'm wondering if there is a "best" time to submit your application...if there was a month where you're picked more often than other months. I don't know if they have a set number for each month or if it is dependent on need based on what is going on in the world.

FastMover

NFO
None
The general consensus around here seems to be submit your application when it's as competitive as it can possibly be and not to try and get lucky with the timing. I asked my recruiter this very question last week and got the same answer.

new user

The general consensus around here seems to be submit your application when it's as competitive as it can possibly be and not to try and get lucky with the timing. I asked my recruiter this very question last week and got the same answer.

Good answer.

The Stoic

Support that but i am getting the feeling my recruiter really wants me to get in the OCT board. Maybe its for his quota or because my borderline package looks better this time of year, to this I am not sure.

FLY_USMC

pilot
More importantly does beginning of the fiscal year open up the availability of slots when it comes to platforms, ie Hornets East/West, Harriers East/West, etc etc.

bsubdevils

I'm going to give the information as I have it from my recruiter, as my package is going to the October board (they changed some of the paperwork so we had to resend some things yesterday):

So, as I've been told every year there are a certain number of slots to be filled for SNA/NFO/such and so forth. Up until last month they were filling the slots for FY 2007, and now in October they will start filling out slots for FY 2008.

(btw, the slots open look really good this year, good luck to everyone, wish me the same! i'm really excited.)

EDIT: I would have to guess there is no "best time" as others have stated on here, just send it in when it's the best it can be and hope for the best.

Goob83

None
aight for the record the FY 07 closed out in JUNE. THe FY 07 numbers for selection are over. now if any one commissions before OCT 1 then it counts for the recruiters numbers for FY 07. any one selected now is an 08 selection. Goals for this year are about the same as last year as far as SNA go 114