• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcat Parts Sold Despite Sales Ban...

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
What sensitive items? I haven't seen any attempt to describe any actual hardware, not even in general terms. Untile then, it's just a full page of alarmist bullshit.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
Agreed, Hozer, that there was not a great description of any sensitive Tomcat parts beign sold, but the fact that the sales ban on items is not being respected is something that shouldn't be happening, right? :(

...on F-14 parts. Iran is known to be seeking those,
and if the parts were available publicly, it could endanger national security...These are the very parts that they said they wouldn't be selling...leftovers in general that were supposed to have been
destroyed rather than sold in Pentagon surplus auctions...

I thought it was agreed that when stripping down the F-14's, any and all production parts from the craft would be melted down. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I understood it to be.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Agreed, Hozer, that there was not a great description of any sensitive Tomcat parts beign sold, but the fact that the sales ban on items is not being respected is something that shouldn't be happening, right? :(

I thought it was agreed that when stripping down the F-14's, any and all production parts from the craft would be melted down. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I understood it to be.

Tomcats have been going through SARDIP process that strips all components that could be used by other aircraft (like altimeters, clocks, etc.) and demils it if it heading to a museum or takes it to Demil Code D (Destruction) if it is being disposed of. That doesn't mean there aren't parts already in the system or outside of it that are getting sold by mistake or whatever reason.

WVUBetaHornet

Sweep the leg..
Tomcats have been going through SARDIP process that strips all components that could be used by other aircraft (like altimeters, clocks, etc.) and demils it if it heading to a museum or takes it to Demil Code D (Destruction) if it is being disposed of. That doesn't mean there aren't parts already in the system or outside of it that are getting sold by mistake or whatever reason.

Understood sir, thanks for clearin that up for me.

One more thing though; where does this 'threat to national security' come into play then?
It stated that parts are being sold now that were not supposed to be sold in the first place,
but rather destroyed.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Understood sir, thanks for clearin that up for me.

One more thing though; where does this 'threat to national security' come into play then?
It stated that parts are being sold now that were not supposed to be sold in the first place,
but rather destroyed.

My pleasure...here's wh) so they won't fall into "enemy" hands directly or piece by piece. Gotta love the slurping sound of the machines as they devour the Tomcat.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
De-milling is a thorough and detailed process. Basically all that's left is cannon plugs, panels, and fasteners.
If the IRAF gets an afterburner can, great. If they pay money for it, better.
If one day a Super Hornet gets to shoot it down, perfect.

If they're getting NCTR, then that's bad, but I doubt it.

GroundPounder

My pleasure...here's wh) so they won't fall into "enemy" hands directly or piece by piece. Gotta love the slurping sound of the machines as they devour the Tomcat.

I'm guessing that if you flew or maintained the F14, that the video makes you a bit queasy.

Forgive the unknowing but IF Iran was able to get these parts, and IF they were able to get a transponder that showed them as US aircraft wouldn't our radars still show the planes to be F-14's which of course we would know don't exist in our inventory and shoot them down anyway??

I'm not saying we should sell the parts just trying to understand that in the long term wouldn't we know they were Iranians anyway?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Forgive the unknowing but IF Iran was able to get these parts, and IF they were able to get a transponder that showed them as US aircraft wouldn't our radars still show the planes to be F-14's which of course we would know don't exist in our inventory and shoot them down anyway??

I'm not saying we should sell the parts just trying to understand that in the long term wouldn't we know they were Iranians anyway?

That's not how Mode IV works.

Brett

RHPF

pilot
Contributor

What Brett said, and the issue is not that they are going to make the hop (refueling???) to the States... The issue is that the planes naturally wear and need parts replaced as part of their use. We stopped selling them parts (with the exception of some leaks) quite a long time ago. It becomes difficult to keep a fleet air worthy without new parts. That is the reason we are trying to keep the parts of the market, it effectively keeps their planes out of the sky.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

When did AMARC change their name to AMARG? (Changing Center to Group...)? Must have been recently.

At least Marc is a masculine name, as opposed to Marg(e) which sounds like a 1950s grandmother (no offense to those "more seasoned" members of AW:icon_tong).

But I guess it is the AF, and the AF has to change names all the damn time. And of course they would go the sissy way without even knowing it. Sheesh, what's next, the 27th FS calling themselves the Sally's? :eek:

When I was in High School I got to take a tour of the boneyard with the old man. There are some cool airplanes sitting in the sun and sand out there. I'll see if I can't dig up some of those old pictures.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Wow... I can't believe that guy came back. Sad.

The other day I was sitting bored as can be in class, and decided to google the guys name. He must have presented himself as a retired AF pilot on some like 10 boards. Several of which he was given respect for his service to the country. I hope the guy sleeps really well...