• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tomcat Sunset Ceremony

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
heyjoe said:
Sept 20-23 2006 will be the Tomcat Sunset Ceremony at NAS Oceana (where else?). VF-31 will be last squadron standing...at least with flyable Tomcats and will conduct the ceremonial last flight before they transition to the F/A-18F.

Unless I'm seriously mistaken (and this would hardly be the first time), VF-31 will be transitioning to F/A-18Es...

Crossing my fingers that I'll still be around!! :D

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not that M.A.T.S. is authoritative, but they list following:

to F/A-18E/F transition schedule:
Squadron Type Transition date
VF-213 F/A-18F 05/2006
VF-31 F/A-18F 09/2006

I'll check with Wing E/F transition lead next time we chat. Since each air wing gets one F quadron and CVW-8 has 2 Tomcat squadrons, that would make sense (like CVW-11 with VFA-14 in Es and VFA-41 in Fs).

Not that I know anything...but it is true that 31 will get E's and stay on surge whilst 213 transitions immediately (to F's) upon return from there now half-way-done cruise together.

--jai5w4

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Rog. VF-213 transitions soon after return to F/A-18F and VF-31 remains on FRP commitment until 1 Sept at which time they will transition to F/A-18E.

Attachments

• sunset_tomcat_logo.jpg
    sunset_tomcat_logo.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 55
B

Blutonski816

I found it rather strange that 31 got 1-seaters, especially since its previous Airwing, CVW-14 now has F/A-18E squadrons: VFA-115 and 22.

just thinking out loud...

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
During our 4/C Orientation at ERAU, we went around the room telling everyone what we wanted to fly in the Navy. A guy said he joined to fly the Tomcat, poor guy did not know they were being taken away. Poor kid.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah... poor kid.

Speaking about airframes going away, does anyone know what the deal with the Prowler pipeline (specifically for NFOs) is? I've heard rumors (trying to find substantiation) that the pipeline is (or will soon be) closed. Seeing as how when I discovered (much to my dismay) that -14's were going away, I decided I wanted to try for Prowlers.. and now they're going away too... Oh woe is me.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Prowlers will be replaced by Growler (F/A-18G), the first of which is being built right now so sounds very premature to shut down pipeline this soon. Growler will have to go through Developmental Testing folowed by OPEVAL before the Fleet deploys with it; that's years away.

B

Blutonski816

TheBubba said:
Yeah... poor kid.

Speaking about airframes going away, does anyone know what the deal with the Prowler pipeline (specifically for NFOs) is? I've heard rumors (trying to find substantiation) that the pipeline is (or will soon be) closed. Seeing as how when I discovered (much to my dismay) that -14's were going away, I decided I wanted to try for Prowlers.. and now they're going away too... Oh woe is me.

At least you're already commissioned... I'm in the same boat as you... grew up wanting Toms, now that they're gone, I'm eyeing Prowlers....

It looks like the Navy I wanted to fly in is all but a page in history...
Well, at least there's still P-3s...:)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
heyjoe said:
Prowlers will be replaced by Growler (F/A-18G), the first of which is being built right now so sounds very premature to shut down pipeline this soon. Growler will have to go through Developmental Testing folowed by OPEVAL before the Fleet deploys with it; that's years away.

Thanks Joe.

Blutonski816 said:
Well, at least there's still P-3s...
Don't forger about the E-6's too... :D

In light of this, I'm eyeing 18's or E-2's, but seeing as how I was originally a SWO selectee out of Ye Merry Olde Boat School, I'm happy to be getting the opportunity to fly in anything.

[rep-saving plug] Not that SWO is bad or anything. I was happy just getting commissioned. [/rep-saving plug]

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
SWO to Aviation

TheBubba said:
Thanks Joe.

Don't forger about the E-6's too... :D

In light of this, I'm eyeing 18's or E-2's, but seeing as how I was originally a SWO selectee out of Ye Merry Olde Boat School, I'm happy to be getting the opportunity to fly in anything.

[rep-saving plug] Not that SWO is bad or anything. I was happy just getting commissioned. [/rep-saving plug]

Once upon a time, everyone out of Annapolis had to go to sea first (before there was anything such as a SWO pin) and then request flight training. Way back when, folks were assigned in and out of various communities to make them better leaders...I think it was Mustin (as in Mustin OClub in PCola) that got into aviation, but after doing a lot for surface naval gunnery. Some of my mentors (even not boat school types) had all served at least a tour in surface line. One of my roomies in my first squadron had come from a cruiser after failing to select for aviation out of the boat school. That said, one thing I noticed was former SWO types have a bit more seniority and a lot more experience dealing with sailors so they make awesome branch and division officers. That allows them ot concentrate on improving their airmanship.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yeah... I know about that. Honestly, I think it should go back to that. Last I checked, the Coasties have to do their version of a sea tour before going aviation of anything not on a boat. Good idea. I figure if you're in the Navy, you should have some boat experience as a JO (not just flying onto one, but actually fighting the ship be it drills or real life).

In my limited experience, the best leadership/learning opportunities I had were about 60 miles off the coast of Mass in a 44 foot sloop with a novice crew. Being at sea (in any capacity) presents its own set of challenges. I figure if you can handle that, you'll be golden in any career.

-Bubba's $0.02

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
heyjoe, that's an interesting point about the SWO transitions and Div-O experience. Would you say the same for prior enlisted guys as well? Granted, I'm on the Green side for both my enlisted and officer time, so there's bound to be differences. Regardless, what's your experience with prior enlisted guys as Div-Os and aviators?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:
heyjoe, that's an interesting point about the SWO transitions and Div-O experience. Would you say the same for prior enlisted guys as well? Granted, I'm on the Green side for both my enlisted and officer time, so there's bound to be differences. Regardless, what's your experience with prior enlisted guys as Div-Os and aviators?

I think it all counts for something. There's a lot life experience that goes on between 20-30 and just being a little older and having a few more perspectives (whether from another community or as prior enlisted) can really make a dfference. The troops also look up to someone who has "been there, done that" in their shoes.

Being a SWO also helps while in port when attached to a carrier. Aviators have to pull "Boat O" duty on liberty boats (when used). What a laugh! It really the coxswain who will save the day unless the Boat O has a lot of small boat handling skills (most don't if they didn't go to the Boat School).

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I did go to the boat school, and I still don't have any boat handling skills.

I see where you're coming from, and I agree completely. As a disclaimer, though, I'll add that I've known some very outstanding people who just take to the leadership environment they're in and can do no wrong. Granted, those people are pretty few and far between, so I think that a good Gunny or Chief can make all the difference. I'm way off topic here, so I'll let you all get back to your Tomcats. Thanks for the input heyjoe.