• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Top Secret or Secret Clearance

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
investmentman said:
I was wondering if SNA's apply for a Top Secret or Secret Clearance? Any help would be appreciated.

Don't worry about TS as an SNA

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Even if you had a TS clearence as an SNA, you'd not have a need to know. There would be some who have it (prior types).

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You will have a Secret but you dont need access to anything classified until at least the RAG and dont worry by the time you hit the RAG they will ahve lost your clearance and you will have to do it all over again. As for a TS it is platform specific, I dont have one and am ok with that, the process is a pain in the @ss.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
just dealing with controlled stuff is a pain in the butt. I'd really just rather drive the bus.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
You will have a Secret but you dont need access to anything classified until at least the RAG and dont worry by the time you hit the RAG they will ahve lost your clearance and you will have to do it all over again. As for a TS it is platform specific, I dont have one and am ok with that, the process is a pain in the @ss.
The process isn't THAT bad. :shake_125

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
investmentman said:
I was wondering if SNA's apply for a Top Secret or Secret Clearance? Any help would be appreciated.

Is this just idle curiosity, or is there something you're trying to do?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Will inject some advice here pertaining to security clearances . . . if you are a ROTC/Academy type and get a Secret clearance before commissioning . . . SAVE YOUR SF86 FORM! It will save you SO much heartache and irritation when you try to reconstruct another for your TS clearance should you do one later . . .

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
nittany03 said:
Will inject some advice here pertaining to security clearances . . . if you are a ROTC/Academy type and get a Secret clearance before commissioning . . . SAVE YOUR SF86 FORM! It will save you SO much heartache and irritation when you try to reconstruct another for your TS clearance should you do one later . . .

Good lord yes. What a painful process that was in Meridian. Oh, and some peopel had to do it AGAIN when they got here.

Fly Navy said:
Good lord yes. What a painful process that was in Meridian. Oh, and some peopel had to do it AGAIN when they got here.

Damn. I knew I should have kept that thing... Guess I got into the habit of making copies of EVERYTHING a little too late.

Better late than never, though.

-jai5w4

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fly Navy said:
How does the Navy lose an SF86 form in 3 months? That HAS to be a record.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't just save it....print the damn thing out and make pen and ink changes to your hardcopy as the years pass. That way, when you have to do an update (or re-do what you already submitted), it is all there + any changes that have taken place.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
investmentman said:

You'll do the paperwork for a Secret, which is essentially that you're not a criminal, it's all automated background checks IIRC. If you select a platform that requires TS then they'll start the TS paperwork. It'll churn along and you'll likely get read into it shortly after you hit the fleet. You'll then get read into and out of various compartments along the way if you go do special projects. If you go to a shore billet that requires a lifestyle or Counterintelligence polygraph that will be done at that time.

Don't sweat the whole thing. You just fill out the paperwork when you're told and it'll happen. There's little that can be done to make it better, worse, faster or slower.