• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tuberculosis Patient

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of you might be wondering why I start a thread on the guy with the virulent strain of Tuberculosis. Well, it turns out he raduated from the Boat School. Given his age, 31, I would guess he graduated in 97, 98 or 99. Anyone know him?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070531/ap_on_re_us/tuberculosis_infection

Google search turned up a link to his law firm but it is overwhelmed by traffic, it is the top link: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Andrew+Speaker&btnG=Google+Search

By the way, I think he was completely irresponsible and selfish for conducting himself the way he did, especially when he avoided turning himself in to the authroities or the embassy in Rome, flew back to Canada and entered the US surreptitiously. It is a very serious public health threat and I would expect more from a former officer........:(

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
According to a biography posted on a Web site connected with Speaker's law firm, the young lawyer attended the U.S. Naval Academy, graduated from the University of Georgia with a degree in finance, then attended University of Georgia's law school. He is in private practice with his father, Ted Speaker, an unsuccessful candidate for a judgeship in 2004.

it says he 'attended' boat school and graduate from UG. that might be an equivocal way of not mentioning he quit, if that is the case.

besides, surreptitious...what else do you expect from a lawyer? *smiles, etc*

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
it says he 'attended' boat school and graduate from UG. that might be an equivocal way of not mentioning he quit, if that is the case.

Well, I guess I get an F for reading comprehension this time........;) Yeah, my brother is a lawyer, there is not arguing with him sometimes...........:eek:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
what I'm more curious about is why officials didn't place him under arrest? Contagious or not, he needed to be checked and quarantined for good measure, and he wasn't.

side note: both parents are former lawyers. Ya, I lost every argument growing up.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some of you might be wondering why I start a thread on the guy with the virulent strain of Tuberculosis. Well, it turns out he raduated from the Boat School. Given his age, 31, I would guess he graduated in 97, 98 or 99. Anyone know him?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070531/ap_on_re_us/tuberculosis_infection

Google search turned up a link to his law firm but it is overwhelmed by traffic, it is the top link: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Andrew+Speaker&btnG=Google+Search

By the way, I think he was completely irresponsible and selfish for conducting himself the way he did, especially when he avoided turning himself in to the authroities or the embassy in Rome, flew back to Canada and entered the US surreptitiously. It is a very serious public health threat and I would expect more from a former officer........:(

The account I read yesterday said he was in contact with CDC in Italy and provided with a hotel room and advised not to travel, but drove to Prague and left for Canada and then drove to New York where he turned himself in....I figured he was an NTAC who was going to do whatever he felt like doing regardless of consequences to others and might have been from shallow end of gene pool in Georgia (nothing against that state as I was born there). To now hear he's had schooling at Annapolis and was a practicing lawyer in Personal Injury law with a father-in-law who works for CDC in TB area?; he has no excuse for what he has done.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
And the border guard let him through even though his computer was yelling GAS GAS GAS and repeatedly touching its shoulders. Complacency and lack of training at its finest...and these border guards have a union, too? WTF? They're supposed to be our defense against invaders. No wonder we have a shitload of Mexicans and biohazardous (and pompous) idiots infiltrating our borders.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
What baffles me is how MSNBC "analysts" suggest that if charges were filed theres a good chance that he would walk, saying that he A) didn't feel he was contagious B) didn't know the risks associated with it. I'm no physics major but I would deduce a lawyer might be educated enough to realize he might not be using common sense by traveling all over the world, hopefully he's not allowed to plead ignorance.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
What baffles me is how MSNBC "analysts" suggest that if charges were filed theres a good chance that he would walk, saying that he A) didn't feel he was contagious B) didn't know the risks associated with it. I'm no physics major but I would deduce a lawyer might be educated enough to realize he might not be using common sense by traveling all over the world, hopefully he's not allowed to plead ignorance.
Well, really, it depends. IANAL, but it kind of depends. Traveling with drug-resistant TB isn't a crime in and of itself. They could possibly charge him with something like negligence or depraved indifference, but for that to stick, they'd have to show that a reasonable person would know that what he was doing endangered others. Now, the CDC told him that he shouldn't travel (although he denies this, so the CDC would have to provide proof that he was, in fact, told), and another hospital in Denver told him that seeking treatment anywhere other than that hospital could endanger his chances for recovery. He could possibly argue that he wasn't aware of the danger he presented, that he feared for his own health, and that, to date, no other person has shown any negative effects as a result of their close proximity to him.

Doesn't mean he's not a douche. Just means he might not be a criminally liable douche.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Doesn't mean he's not a douche. Just means he might not be a criminally liable douche.

conur, but if anyone who came into contact with him on the trip tests positive for TB, he can be held responsible...he should have known that from his personal injury law background....especially weighed against his circuitous route to return to U.S. that shows knowledge that he was "on report" and could be stopped. He thought only about himself with flagrant disregard for others and having counsel of his father-in-law on TB (that would be an interesting conversation...he either told him how to beat the system or warned him to stay put is my guess). And now he wonders why there is an armed guard outside his door........

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Well, really, it depends. IANAL, but it kind of depends. Traveling with drug-resistant TB isn't a crime in and of itself. They could possibly charge him with something like negligence or depraved indifference, but for that to stick, they'd have to show that a reasonable person would know that what he was doing endangered others. Now, the CDC told him that he shouldn't travel (although he denies this, so the CDC would have to provide proof that he was, in fact, told), and another hospital in Denver told him that seeking treatment anywhere other than that hospital could endanger his chances for recovery. He could possibly argue that he wasn't aware of the danger he presented, that he feared for his own health, and that, to date, no other person has shown any negative effects as a result of their close proximity to him.

Yes, you're right but I like to think this has some similarities to having sex while HIV positive. TB can be highly contagious (maybe not in this case) and his knowing his condition and travelling anyway is similar to an HIV positive person knowingly having sex with other people. I think the HIV case has been made before, but I could be wrong. Maybe this is apples to oranges, but it seems just as criminal to me, especially with a drug-resistant more dangerous strain of TB.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

What I heard on the radio yesterday was that he did go to the boat school (didn't say whether he graduated or not), but that he went to law school at UG.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
To now hear he's had schooling at Annapolis and was a practicing lawyer in Personal Injury law with a father-in-law who works for CDC in TB area?; he has no excuse for what he has done.

Hope he's a good lawyer, because he's about to get alot of practice. One thing that amazes me is that when I listened to the report about this on 'The Morning Show" on CBS, their main concern was the legality of the Quarrentine Laws he was being held under.