• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turbines question for E-2, C-2, P-3 guys...

selmacf7

Hey guys, I need a bit of turbine information for some Gas Turbine Course Extra Credit. Half of it (dealing with the Honeywell T55-GA-714A TS) is already taken care of, but have a few questions on the Rolls Royce T56-A-427 Turbo Prop being used in the newer E-2's, and I THINK the C-2 and P-3, though they may have older versions. I know the C-130 used an old variant of it...

What I Know:

Thrust Rating (5250 SHP)
Type (TP)
Comp. Ration (11.5)
Combustor Type (Annular)
Envelope (L,W, Weight, etc)
Uses
Blades on rotor system

What I Can't find...

Number of Spools in the Compressor
Number of Comp. Stages per spool
Type of Compressor (I think it's Axial/Centrifugal, but not sure... which would make for two spools, btw)
Number of Turbine Stages/Spool
SFC

I'm pretty sure that's all of it... Honeywell had a great website for their engines, but not so much with the RR. Appreciate any help you guys can give me.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
CODs have T56A-425's. They're the older E-2 engines.
They are 14 stage compressor (axial) and 4 stage can-annular (6 cans, 2 igniters plus crossover tubes) combustion. Each is a single spool.

selmacf7

Can-annular... really? I would've thought annular. Think I was looking at specs for (what I thought was) a similar engine when I came up with that. Then again, I thought it had a centrifugal comp in there too.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No I'm making it up. And I have never seen a centrifugal compressor on here. Just the axial ones.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
if I knew what Spec fuel consumption was, i'd tell you.

(all i know from is the T-56-14 and T-56-10)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
kmac said:
No I'm making it up. And I have never seen a centrifugal compressor on here. Just the axial ones.

Centrifugal compressors are big in helo power plants - Rolls Royce (nee Allison) 250 Series (TH-57), LTS-101 (HH-65, AS-350D, M1 Abrahms Tank)

Pags

N/A
pilot
erautreetopflyr said:
Cool... so who's got a number for Spec. Fuel Consumption?
You're not gonna find a SFC number in any manuals, that's an engineering number.

selmacf7

Yea... SFC is kind of a hard thing to find, though not THAT hard.... I'm sure an hour in the library would take care of it, but who wants to do that? ;)

There are a couple of TP's with centrifugal comps in them... PT6A has one in it , AKA T-74-CP-701. Guess it was used as both a TP and TS.... Modern Cent compressors have gotten pretty good, not uncommon in TP's.

Aaaaanyway, I'll hit up the library tomorrow and see if I can find SFC... need to confirm my other stuff anyway. Thanks for the help.

(feel free to add more, of course)

selmacf7

Perfect... don't know how I missed that on the site. Think I was looking in the downloads section.

In retrospect, single spool and axial flow make sense... single shaft = quicker spool up = not hit the back of the boat, or so goes my logic.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Centrifugal is better for smaller engines. The PT6 family of engines has both a cent. and an axial section (and wasn't originally designed as a/c powerplant). Larger engines are gonna be axial because you can get a higher compression ratio due the multiple stages. It's pretty hard to get an efficient multiple staged cent. flow engine.

FLY_USMC

pilot
J69-T-25 is a single stage centrifugal compressor engine that's used in the T-37B Tweet.