• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turks and Syrians exchange rounds

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AP is reporting the Turks shelled Syrian batteries today, in retaliation for the Syrians hitting a village on the Turkish side.

It's going to get interesting quickly out there, I think. After the F-4 shoot down earlier this year, the Turks have been under a lot of domestic pressure to respond.

jmcquate

Contributor
AP is reporting the Turks shelled Syrian batteries today, in retaliation for the Syrians hitting a village on the Turkish side.

It's going to get interesting quickly out there, I think. After the F-4 shoot down earlier this year, the Turks have been under a lot of domestic pressure to respond.
The Syrian rounds were morter fire. The Turks aren't sure if it was the Syrian Army or rebels.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
. . . and the Russians are telling NATO to stay out of Syria. Everyone needs to keep his head here.

. . . and the Russians are telling NATO to stay out of Syria. Everyone needs to keep his head here.
I always wonder why Russia and China are so quick to back up countries like Iran and Syria. I know that they are trading partners, but are they really that valuable to them?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always wonder why Russia and China are so quick to back up countries like Iran and Syria. I know that they are trading partners, but are they really that valuable to them?

Yep. Lots of money in the stuff they sell the more unsavory countries.

And sometimes, it's just to try and stick a thumb in the eye of NATO/UN/US, etc. The Russians particularly.

Reactions: Fog

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
And now the Turkish parliament has authorized the military to engage in operations outside their borders. The price of poker has just gone up again.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Does anyone really think that Russia has the stomach for this? I know that their play is to convince the world that they do...but I just don't see O'le Vlad committing military power to this fight, even if it's between Turkey and Syria. Their play is to try to keep Western intervention at bay vis-a-vis removing Bashar al Asad, not to stick their noses into a border war between Turkey and Syria, NATO member or not.

The logistic issues alone are pretty vast...short of Russia committing major naval muscle to the Med proper, the only real route for mobilization looks like something out of a horror story...Georgia, Azerbaijan and or Armenia, Iran, Iraq...No way they pull that off.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The logistic issues alone are pretty vast...short of Russia committing major naval muscle to the Med proper, the only real route for mobilization looks like something out of a horror story...Georgia, Azerbaijan and or Armenia, Iran, Iraq...No way they pull that off.

They could land one of these:

big bitch.jpg

at one of these.... Seems like a steady stream of those monsters could deliver quite a few beans and bullets.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does anyone really think that Russia has the stomach for this? I know that their play is to convince the world that they do...but I just don't see O'le Vlad committing military power to this fight, even if it's between Turkey and Syria. Their play is to try to keep Western intervention at bay vis-a-vis removing Bashar al Asad, not to stick their noses into a border war between Turkey and Syria, NATO member or not.

Is someone suggesting that Russia will get involved militarily? I don't see it either.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Russians will make diplomatic noise and political trouble, probably. Direct military intervention? No way.

NATO is sending out smoke signals that they're considering this an attack on a member state. In other words, countries that support Syria would be supporting an attack on NATO. In still other words, back the fuck off.

Renegade One

None
NATO is sending out smoke signals that they're considering this an attack on a member state...
That generally means that they will lower flags to half-mast and send a "Book of Condolence" to local Turkish embassies. The operative word of the phrase "NATO is sending out smoke signals" is "smoke".

Reactions: Fog

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Turkey will likely not invoke Art. 5 (definition of Europe notwithsatanding), but if they did, what might that look like? On general principle, NATO is fighting our war in Afghanistan because we invoked Art. 5 after 9/11. Seems like it would be a hugh dick move to parse words and not respond in kind if Turkey asked for help.