• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAE managing our ports

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
That was the point of my post, notwithstanding the rant. I guess I wasn't clear. DPW didn't completely pull out of the deal. That is something lost on many people (like the rest of the facts). The purchase of P&O is a much larger deal then just the US ports. DPW is still going to buy British company P&O, but sell the US operations to someone else ASAP with the proviso it not cost them anything. Heck, DPW will still service US Navy vessals overseas. Better demand a stop to that too.
Yeah, I agree the whole thing was a ridiculous political mess. It just goes to show you that the general public, which was by and large opposed to the whole deal, generally doesn't know what it's talking about and only knows what the media and the squawkiest politicians tell them.

This opens up an interesting point in my book - like many of the classified things that go on every day in the military and government operations, are some things best kept from the public for fear that the issue is too complex and would tend to confuse? Is absolute transparency in government always the best policy?

Brett

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
This opens up an interesting point in my book - like many of the classified things that go on every day in the military and government operations, are some things best kept from the public for fear that the issue is too complex and would tend to confuse? Is absolute transparency in government always the best policy?

Yes. It's the difference between being the greater force that is the people who determine a democracy's course, and being a subject.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
Yes. It's the difference between being the greater force that is the people who determine a democracy's course, and being a subject.
Well I don't know how far Brett wants to carry it but I don't think squeeze is saying there is no place for classifed material in a free society either. There absolutely are some things that are classified that would cause the same unreasonable viseral reaction the DPW deal has. It is worth noting, however, that they were classified for other very good security reasons.

KBayDog

squeeze said:

That's all well and good, but we're not a democracy - we are a Republic.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, I'm not implying there is no place for classified material. But things that are not vital to national security and would not compromise it if released don't count.

Kbaydog - Nice try, but I've already stated that fact in other threads. I'm well aware of our government's makeup. A democratic republic is a type of democracy and involves less typing.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink said:
Well I don't know how far Brett wants to carry it but I don't think squeeze is saying there is no place for classified material in a free society either. There absolutely are some things that are classified that would cause the same unreasonable viseral reaction the DPW deal has. It is worth noting, however, that they were classified for other very good security reasons.
Wink's got it right. I'm asking rhetorically where a government ought to draw the line. One reason we elect officials to represent us is so that they can focus on the details the regular guy on the street can not or will not bother with. The hypothetical extremes are a government that is elected and works in a black box of total secrecy for the good of the people on one hand, and one where every minute detail is subjected to popular referenda. There are all kinds of things the public isn't privy to besides classified material. The question I pose is where the line ought to be drawn. We agree that classified material should be safeguarded because of national security. What about important diplomatic or economic efforts?

Discuss,

Brett

KBayDog

squeeze said:
Kbaydog - Nice try, but I've already stated that fact in other threads. I'm well aware of our government's makeup. A democratic republic is a type of democracy and involves less typing.

Noted.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
squeeze said:
A democratic republic is a type of democracy and involves less typing.
Ya, that is what I learned in high school.;)