• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAV operators to get DFC and Air Medals

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I agree with Brett - I always thought an Air Medal or DFC was well beyond just "being good" - but it was about selflessness and putting your own hide at risk to accomplish the mission or save your fellow serviceman. Personal risk is inherent in the award. I think it cheapens it by removing that key ingredient.

What next? MOH for robot operators?

MasterBates

Not to say they shouldn't be recognized for the work they do but they should not be recognized by the same award of butts strapped into Martin Bakers.

Don't forget the guys with the stroker seats. (helos) I'm no longer one of them, but I'll speak up for them..

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
sorry, and I know my experience is limited to nil, but this is stupid. Sounds like someone is trying to get promoted, because this doesn't even make sense. Wonder how all those guys who actually earned air medals and DFC's feel about this?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
There is a part of that article that says they may be awarded the DFC or AM only if they are physically located on the aircraft.

Does that mean manning the controls, or is there a way to...man...a UAV?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guys operating battlefield UAVs are in the thick of it. If they earn a BS for their actions it is deserved. Perhaps operating a battlefield UAV while under fire could qualify for DFC.

Criteria: The Distinguished Flying Cross is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes himself by heroism or extraordinary achievement while participating in aerial flight. The performance of the act of heroism must be evidenced by voluntary action above and beyond the call of duty. The extraordinary achievement must have resulted in an accomplishment so exceptional and outstanding as to clearly set the individual apart from his comrades or from other persons in similar circumstances. Awards will be made only to recognize single acts of heroism or extraordinary achievement and will not be made in recognition of sustained operational activities against an armed enemy.

But I'm having a hard time with a DFC when you are remotely operating the device (like in Nellis AFB) and not in harm's way at all.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A very good friend of mine flew all of his UAV mission from Jacobabad. I've been there a few times as well. If he was awarded these medals for that (he was not) I would probably call BS on that one.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Guys operating battlefield UAVs are in the thick of it. If they earn a BS for their actions it is deserved. Perhaps operating a battlefield UAV while under fire could qualify for DFC.

But I'm having a hard time with a DFC when you are remotely operating the device (like in Nellis AFB) and not in harm's way at all.

From reading the article and this quote “if they are physically located on the aircraft (system) during the cited period, and all criteria for the decorations have been met.” lead me to believe that what is bolded above will apply and not to some Predator guy in Las Vegas.

Also, this is only for the Army, not for the USAF or anyone else. The Army has a few bigger UAV's (they don't fly Predators, that is USAF and 'others' only, they do fly a smaller version called the I-GNAT and another called the Warrior) but the vast majority are smaller ones that are launched and controlled right at the front lines. As long as they meet the criteria, I see no problem with awarding them the medals.

There are two things that worry me though, the Army is pretty bad about handing awards out like candy (just look at how many Army types have the Bronze Star) and I really have no idea how someone on the ground will meet the criteria for one of these decorations.

I will ask one of the Army guys I know about this.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Don't forget the guys with the stroker seats. (helos) I'm no longer one of them, but I'll speak up for them..

Please don't construe my comment as jet centric, certainly any platform out there where the operator goes forward WITH the airframe into peril should be recognized with the appropriate award for the appropriate action.

The later comment about UAV operators who are in country with their UAV being recognized is bad as well. To me any award for aerial achievement means you have to be airborne (or at least have the intent in the case a helo in an LZ or in the case of being in an Able Dog and landing to pick up your down buddy for example)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is in keeping with Bronze Stars for staff work, sometimes it seems we are about 10 years away from peacetime Medals of Honor for a really great ppt presentation