• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAV operators to get DFC and Air Medals

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ also MSMs for everyone in the Army/AF.

When I was working in the Joint Tactical Air-to-Air Missile Office, I started to write a recommendation for a Navy Comm for one of my Air Force Counterparts, an newly promoted 0-4, only to be told that a commendation medal would be an insult as they typically get an end of tour MSM. Even the S/Sgt that did our typing was sporting an MSM.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once asked, our CAG told us about medals. He said, "You'll have to do something really extraordinary around here to earn one."

He continued on to say, "Getting shot at while putting lots of ordnance on the enemy is not that extraordinary. He11, that’s our normal job. That's what we signed up to do. That's what we're supposed to do."

"There's nothing extraordinary in that. And besides, we already get an extra $65 a month combat pay for that! No, medals are for the rare and extraordinary, and not for what we all do daily."

And indeed they were. In the nearly 3,000 combat sorties over two cruises, I know of only 2 total DFC's awarded to crew within our squadron. But those 2 did have extraordinary value.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once asked, our CAG told us about medals. He said, "You'll have to do something really extraordinary around here to earn one."

He continued on to say, "Getting shot at while putting lots of ordnance on the enemy is not that extraordinary. He11, that’s our normal job. That's what we signed up to do. That's what we're supposed to do."

"There's nothing extraordinary in that. And besides, we already get an extra $65 a month combat pay for that! No, medals are for the rare and extraordinary, and not for what we all do daily."

And indeed they were. In the nearly 3,000 combat sorties over two cruises, I know of only 2 total DFC's awarded to crew within our squadron. But those 2 did have extraordinary value.

Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle to varying extents in all the services.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unfortunately the genie is out of the bottle to varying extents in all the services.

And it was beginning even back then with the Air Force, who handed out end-of-tour DFC's to everyone. And it has spread ever since. :( I doubt it can ever be put back.

phrogpilot73

Don't worry, the Naval Service is still holding strong... I know a crew that was nominated for a DFC that was turned down.

They were hit with an RPG and a fire was engulfing their aircraft. Lost of electrical power, AFCS, and the fire was blooming out their googles. The crewchief jumped out at about 15 feet because he was overwhelmed by the fire. Everyone survived, but they were just "doing their job".

I don't look at an Army Doggie's (Stearmann - I don't mean you!) chest candy and think they've "been there done that". That's reserved for the few medals the guys in the Navy/Marine Corps get...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think it has gone both ways for some awards, and almost all of the services are guilty of it. For many of relatively lower awards like an MSM or a Bronze Star they are given out too often and with relatively low standards.

However, awards like th Bronze Star with a V, Silver Star, the service crosses and the Medal of Honor the awards as strict as they have ever been, if not the strictest they have ever been. If you look at the total numbe rof awards given for those decorations and the actions for which they awarded there is little doubt that almost every one of them was deserved. There has even been some grumblings that some of the services, namely the Army, has been a little too stingy when it comes to the DSC and the Medal of Honor. Even the Air Force has been pretty good about awarding the higher end awards, if you read some of the citations for the Air Force Cross you will have no doubt the guys got what they deserved.

http://www.qando.net/Details.aspx?Entry=3691

Decorations like the Silver Star, DSC and even the Medal of Honor were given out at a much higher rate than now if you go further back in history. Douglas MacArthur was awarded two DSC's and seven Silver Stars serving in the 42nd Division in WWI and the Medal of Honor in WWII for his defense of the Phillipines. While he was a brave man I don't see how a division chief of staff/division commander rated that many awards in such a short time and his MOH is one of the most debated in history.

So, for the awards the highest combat awards I think all of the services are doing a good job so far in the latest conflicts. As for the others, it is up for debate........