• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs anybody???

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The way things are going, the term "Flying a Desk" may have new meaning. USAF Predators and Global Hawks are flown by rated aviators. As USAF says:
The 11th RS is one of three Predator squadrons and is commanded by Lt. Col. John Breeden, an Air Force Reserve officer. He is the first reservist trained as a Predator pilot and graduate of the USAF Weapons School.

“We train Predator aircrews for combat squadrons,” Colonel Breeden said. “We have averaged turning out 45 aircrews per year for the past three years. In fiscal year 2006, we expect to graduate 105 aircrews and in fiscal year 2007, that number will grow to 120 aircrews.”

Predators are not the only UAVs in need of rated pilots.....The Joint Unmanned Combat Air System (JUCAS) may spell the end of manned combat aircraft after JSF has USAF and USN (X-45B and X-47B respectively) versions. So how many of you aspiring aviators and saltydogs want to earn your air medals sitting at a console?

Photo of NGC X-47A Pegasus and RQ-8A Firescout ay Farnborough 04

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
goosegagnon2 said:
Making a fully remote control aircraft takes the humanity out of war. It'll be a disconnect from real feelings.
Yeah, because if there's one thing we like to emphasize as warfighters it's getting in touch with our feelings before we pull the trigger. That's what we need - more emotional outpouring.

Brett

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm all in favor of using UAVs for persistent ISR (and in circumstances where threat is high or UAV can accomplish mission without alerting folks they are under surveillance). They are also useful for SEAD in high threat environments, but I also agree that having a human in the cockpit has its place and no UAV or UCAV has demonstrated it can do everything the human can. Having both and using each when circumstances favor the particular platform seems to me to be the answer.

The Air Force is only letting rated pilots with an operational tour under their belts fly the Predator and Global Hawk. There's at least one ECMO (with civilian ratings) who flew Global Hawk (also commanded first squadron). So the one choice that may occur would be between shore tour at FRS in type or to be a UAV "desk" jockey and get an air medal flying a UAV over OIF or OEF from CONUS and going home at night. Just met 2 USAF pilots who were from Creech. One was an F-16 pilot and the other was an F-15 jock. They said there were Navy interservice transfer guys there as well (F/A-18 SWFTI in one case).

NavyLonghorn

Here is what a few Viper pilots have to say about it (Dos Gringos)

Predator Eulogy
Words and Music by Chris Kurek and Rob Raymond
(Key of A tuned down half step)

They shot down the predator, that’s one less slot for me
They shot down the predator and it filled my heart with glee
I had a smile when I logged on to AFPC
They shot down the predator, that’s one less slot for me

They shot down the predator and I say let’s send some more
Let’s fly ‘em over Baghdad and then see what’s in store
‘Cause I heard that the Air Force wants another 24
They shot down the predator and I say let’s send some more

They shot down the predator and I wonder how that feels
For that operator who lost his set of wheels
It must feel so defenseless; it’s like clubbing baby seals
They shot down the predator and I wonder how that feels

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
A good friend of mine and former naval aviator fly's the Predator for the Air Force. He turned down follow-on C-17 orders to continue with UAV's. He firmly believes it's the wave of the future.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Predator squadrons to go from 3 to 15

bunk22 said:
A good friend of mine and former naval aviator fly's the Predator for the Air Force. He turned down follow-on C-17 orders to continue with UAV's. He firmly believes it's the wave of the future.

It is a growth industry and it is the flavor of the month so he probably made a smart move to catch the first set of waves in the expansion of Predator. Here's the latest on Predator...

USAF plans to expand the current Predator community to as many as 15 squadrons. The increase from current force structure of 3 squadrons was announced March 18, 2005 in response to the escalating demand for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) capability in the global war on terrorism (GWOT). This will allow USAF to meet the demands of CENTCOM and other Combatant Commanders.

Peter B. Teets, acting secretary of the Air Force commented, "Combating terrorism requires the Air Force provide worldwide vigilance and awareness through persistent command, control and surveillance capabilities, ensuring our nation's ability to see first, understand first and act first. Our effort in regard to UAVs is just one more capability that allows us to ensure air dominance for our joint team in any environment we operate."

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
UAV's are great for ISR, etc. But as soon as you need to move people, insert troops in an LZ, pickup SEALs, CSAR, whatever... you are going to need pilots. I don't think military pilots will ever go away, there just might be less of us.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
HH-60H said:
UAV's are great for ISR, etc. But as soon as you need to move people, insert troops in an LZ, pickup SEALs, CSAR, whatever... you are going to need pilots. I don't think military pilots will ever go away, there just might be less of us.

Yeah, let's see some love for the two-anchor mafia here also... :eek:

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Yeah, let's see some love for the two-anchor mafia here also... :eek:

See that's the thing, there ain't no two anchors let alone mafia in the helo world.
In fact when you think about it there aren't any NFOs/RIOs/WSOs in any sort of tactical troop transport aircraft.

:)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
heyjoe said:
It is a growth industry and it is the flavor of the month so he probably amde a smart move to catch the first set of waves in the expansion of Predator. Here's the latest on Predator...

Yeah, it no doubt is. I think he's looking at post military jobs that pay very good money. He's an instructor in UAV's and works with civilian contractors as well.