• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UAVs anybody???

onedge

pilot
That'll be the day

I am not a fan of the UAV. It has its place and tactical value, however, given the opportunity, I think I would be disinclined to seize the opportunity to fly one.

Chubby

onedge said:
The day they assign me to fly a robot from a desk is the day I turn in my wings. I didn't come this far to fly a drone from a console.
Beggars can't be choosers. Worry about the wings first before you go threatening to turn them in.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
UInavy said:
They could make me scoop sh!t (wouldn't be the first time), and I wouldn't turn in my wings. That's just crazy talk.

I agree.

-shitter driver

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I might however drop my letter and walk the F*ck out with my wings proudly on my chest.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
onedge said:
The day they assign me to fly a robot from a desk is the day I turn in my wings. I didn't come this far to fly a drone from a console.

Uhm........don't you have to have wings first :confused: Like it was said above, worry about that then worry about UAV's.

I tell you what, if what my bud said is true that the ability to earn some good money on the outside flying drones, something to the tune of $165K a year as one of their primary UAV desk jockey's........I'm in baby. He works daily with his civilian counterparts and if it weren't for him signing that damn 10 year contract bonus ($25K a year for 10 years), he'd be making good money rather quickly.

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Come on guys, I'd gladly "strap" on that UCAV control station out in Creech so long as I could take that UCAV up to go "kill" something. Whole different story flying around "watching" something.....where's the fun in "watching"?

Fact is, a kill is a kill! And there's nothing better than putting warheads on foreheads.

Again, my two cents.....

Reactions: E5B

Taxman2A

War were declared.
goosegagnon2 said:
Making a fully remote control aircraft takes the humanity out of war. It'll be a disconnect from real feelings.

Honestly, machine guns and manned aircraft take a bit of the humanity out of war as well. They allow us to kill with great accuracy from long distances... Perhaps we should avoid that, and go back to stabbing eachother and hitting eachother with clubs. Sure a few more lives would be lost but the survivors would have a true appreciation of the nature of killing.

The politicians who make the decision to send people to war already exist in a sterile environment away from war. Once we are deployed to a combat zone the decision is made, and missions are laid out for us. Why then shouldn't we strive to accomplish the mission in an effective and safe manner?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd take a job flying UAVs.

Get to see some real unique stuff (ISR) up close and personal with no risk. And can shoot weapons and kill the bad guys. Then go home at night, too.

One anchor..two anchors...who cares.

r/
G

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
UAV pilots

zab1001 said:

USAF UAV pilots I met recently were all rated pilots from TACAIR platforms (one Navy Hornet interservice transfer). They said you had to have a tour under your belt to fly UAVs. Looked like a shore tour option (ie FRS or UAVs...hmmm, can get a air medal sitting at a desk flying UAVs...didn't think to ask how they logged their flight time and if it counted the same for their star and wreath.....questions, questions......

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
According to all the USAF types I've talked to, you still can't get an AM for flying a UAV.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No joke...

nocal80 said:
the whole air medal thing for flying UAV's is a joke right?

Read it and weep...

UAV 'pilot' receives air medal

by Airman 1st Class Monica Munro
Air Warfare Center Public Affairs
NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. (AFNS) -- An 11th Reconnaissance Squadron unmanned aerial vehicle operator was recently awarded the Air Force Aerial Achievement Medal for safely landing a UAV after its engine seized 150 miles from the ground control station at Mostar Air Base, Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Capt. Greg Harbin was able to remotely glide the unmanned aircraft for about 30 miles, avoiding populated areas and maneuvering the UAV to the airfield where it could be safely recovered. The landing was made more difficult because the nose camera, used as the primary pilot camera, iced over during the descent and the aircraft was being controlled by its satellite link, which causes a delay in aircraft control response time.

According to Harbin, the engine quit at about 18,000 feet, leaving about 20 minutes of battery power left to recover the aircraft.

"As I descended through an overcast deck, the nose camera iced over which meant that at sometime I'd have to turn the payload sensor back on and try to find the field. The aircraft has no instrumentation so I had to find the field visually."

With engine failure, impending link failure, and a limited visual picture, Harbin said the situation was tense.

"This emergency felt no different than any airplane, the same emotions were there," Harbin said. "If I would have made a mistake, I would have killed somebody."

The emergency landing occurred during a reconnaissance mission in the support of NATO forces participating in Operation Joint Guard.

"This award recognizes his flying skills and ability to keep his cool under pressure," said Col. Larry New, 15th Operations Group commander.

"He had to deal with a situation, circumstances, and events in which he had to improvise, relying on Air Force training and instincts to succeed.

"As for its (the award's) significance to the unit, we're writing the book as we go along," New said. "What Captain Harbin did is true to the entire operation. There are no books written about situations like these."

"The Predator provides real-time video to the battlefield commanders," Harbin said. "Initially, I didn't understand the UAV program but now I see it for what it is -- an exciting new career field that is not here to replace pilots, but to save lives." (Courtesy of Air Combat Command News Service)