• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unexpected Wrigley Field Memorial Day flyover

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Got to love those Marines. I'm sure they were just doing some sort of straight-in, or something.

MasterBates

Nothing says "FUN" like the unannounced flyover.

Did one in JAX, that while coordinated with the Suns, nobody told the announcers about it.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
It's good to hear how the crowd reacts to some flexing of our military muscle. Kind of makes me proud

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I went to a Cubs game at Wrigley in 1998 the Thursday before the Chicago Air and Water Show, which was the fly in day for the Blues. They had some fun flying over the field pretty fast and low a bunch of times in the middle of the game. Scared the shit out of everyone in the stadium but the crowd went nuts. It was amazing. I've seen them do it since on TV, but that day was definetly my favorite day at the Ole Ballpark.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My pride is suddenly restored.... after so many embarrassing flyovers recently. Did you see the crowd's response? All together! That was awesome.

The announcer's comments were salient:

"You can't beat Memorial day....

Yeah we were overdue for this."
Whoever planned or authorized this should get a medal. (It probably took a bit of courage - which is what we are supposed to have, isn't it? - courage - but apparently is disdained a bit too often in todays' Navy.) Whoever is more senior and might be offended by this should maybe retire.

BZ to those in the (very safe) flyover, and their commander.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Very nice. I'd like to look at the sectional for Chicago--I bet there's nothing preventing doing this there or in a lot of places. Just check the NOTAMS.

The Nationals' stadium gets routine HMX-1 flybys--at pretty low altitudes, too.

B

bacardi00185

Those would be guys from VMFA-121. There were in Chicago this past holiday weekend doing scheduled flyovers for the CUBS games.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I completely agree with Cat's and your posts, so take this as informational and not an endorsement of airspace silliness...

Very nice. I'd like to look at the sectional for Chicago--I bet there's nothing preventing doing this there or in a lot of places. Just check the NOTAMS.

The Nationals' stadium gets routine HMX-1 flybys--at pretty low altitudes, too.

Most sporting events are getting temp TFRs put in place during games now. Sometimes they're not even depicted, but covered by the FARs which just say to stay away from sporting events (I forget the exact wording they have now). At one point, one of the helo squadrons in Jax got slapped with a "flight deviation" because they flew "through" the TFR at a Jags game. It wasn't depicted and not NOTAMed. It was quickly dismissed, but the kicker was that technically NAS Jax's Class D is IN the TFR, which kind of makes operating legally difficult. Fortunately cooler heads have prevailed, everyone was educated about being aware of "sporthing events" and operations continue, even on a Sunday, but just be aware that safely and professionally over-flying a stadium may still get you the wrong kind of attention with the legal backing to cause issues.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've never seen a TFR go uncharted on this website: tfr.faa.gov
It is the only one I use for TFR info.

I don't know what to tell you. This was right about the time they decided to start TFR'ing stadiums and the FAA hadn't dotted all the i's. That's part of why cooler heads prevailed and realized it was a bogus deviation. Since then, I see the Jags statdium, among others, TFR'ed on that website.

We regularly fly on Sundays, and regularly flew by the stadium on the river (before all this happened) without incident, so it's a relatively new "thing" they're doing (~18 months, maybe?).

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
It's good someone out there is able/has the sack to do this kind of thing. We aren't even allowed to do hospital fams (actual useful training btw) in San Diego these days.