• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unexpected Wrigley Field Memorial Day flyover

KBayDog

We aren't even allowed to do hospital fams (actual useful training btw) in San Diego these days.

Must be a squadron thing. We flew downtown as often as possible. 'Twas a nice break from the standard coastal routing, and it was a good lesson in map study, ATC comms, and (most importantly) CRM.

Speaking of which, if you've never flown through LA, you need to grab their helo charts and get up there. Recommend taking the 5 up through the OC, which allows you to fly through Disney's TFR (yes, it's legal for military/LE/EMS under positive control). Where the 10 intersects the Hollywood Freeway, you fly in between some skyscrapers on the published route. Finally, gotta get the photo op by the Hollywood sign. It's Burbank's Class C, but they'll always approve it because it doesn't interfere with their ops, and they can't see you there anyway.

Great MOUT training (yeah, that's the ticket!), and who knows...you can even throw the Doc in the back and work on his four hrs/month.

What a sexy beast:
200901.jpg

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Must be a squadron thing. We flew downtown as often as possible. 'Twas a nice break from the standard coastal routing, and it was a good lesson in map study, ATC comms, and (most importantly) CRM.

Speaking of which, if you've never flown through LA, you need to grab their helo charts and get up there. Recommend taking the 5 up through the OC, which allows you to fly through Disney's TFR (yes, it's legal for military/LE/EMS under positive control). Where the 10 intersects the Hollywood Freeway, you fly in between some skyscrapers on the published route. Finally, gotta get the photo op by the Hollywood sign. It's Burbank's Class C, but they'll always approve it because it doesn't interfere with their ops, and they can't see you there anyway.

Great MOUT training (yeah, that's the ticket!), and who knows...you can even throw the Doc in the back and work on his four hrs/month.

What a sexy beast:
200901.jpg

Called "THE 101". I'm definitely going to fly the helo route(s) in LA one of these days. Looks awesome.

KBayDog

Called "THE 101".

Whatever.

When you're reporting your position, recommend you use the name published on the on the FAA helicopter route chart - "Hollywood Freeway", as that is the name every controlling agency, as well as the other pilots reporting on 123.05, is expecting. FWIW, the section of "The Five" I was referring to near Disney is the "Santa Ana Freeway." It's a very comm-intensive trip, and you're likely to be approved for whatever you want if you speak the language.

Tomato, tomato...just get up there and fly it. Oh, and when you're cruising up the Long Beach Freeway, make sure you drop by and tell Dre, Cube, and Snoop I said "Hey."

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Whatever.

When you're reporting your position, recommend you use the name published on the on the FAA helicopter route chart - "Hollywood Freeway", as that is the name every controlling agency, as well as the other pilots reporting on 123.05, is expecting. FWIW, the section of "The Five" I was referring to near Disney is the "Santa Ana Freeway." It's a very comm-intensive trip, and you're likely to be approved for whatever you want if you speak the language.

Tomato, tomato...just get up there and fly it. Oh, and when you're cruising up the Long Beach Freeway, make sure you drop by and tell Dre, Cube, and Snoop I said "Hey."

I flew a few times out of burbank taking the fam flying around Socal after I was a NA, and flew 30 hours of flight training when I was a wee LAD WELL before I was "joboy 1.0". I even landed at compton. I think that makes me an "OG".

And I can assure you, if you tell ATC at the various airports "Socal approach, cessna 123FU 5 miles south crossing THE XX (freeway), request landing XYZ full stop, information X" they'll know exactly what you're talking about. I grew up in socal and have to look up what people are talking about when they say "hollywood" or "santa ana" freeways. :p

I didn't even realize that was a socal thing until someone in flight school gave me shit for saying I took "the 10" in pensacola...

KBayDog

^I surrender to your vast knowledges. You're right; flying a Cessna from Burbank to Compton is identical to flying published helo routes. Shame on me.

Please continue to educate and inform us all.

FlyingOnFumes

Nobel WAR Prize Aspirant
I flew a few times out of burbank taking the fam flying around Socal after I was a NA, and flew 30 hours of flight training when I was a wee LAD WELL before I was "joboy 1.0". I even landed at compton. I think that makes me an "OG".

And I can assure you, if you tell ATC at the various airports "Socal approach, cessna 123FU 5 miles south crossing THE XX (freeway), request landing XYZ full stop, information X" they'll know exactly what you're talking about. I grew up in socal and have to look up what people are talking about when they say "hollywood" or "santa ana" freeways. :p

I didn't even realize that was a socal thing until someone in flight school gave me shit for saying I took "the 10" in pensacola...

The 91-605 interchange is still refered to by ATC & SoCal TRACON as the "91-605 interchange" and not the "Riverside - San Gabriel Freeway Interchange"...

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Called "THE 101".

Only to youngsters like you and I. The named freeways in the LA area are sections of road that can and do change freeway numbers. For example, the "Hollywood Freeway" starts out on the 101 in downtown LA and goes north. At Universal City, the 101 bends west, becomes the "Ventura Freeway" and the "Hollywood Freeway" continues north on the 134.

My old crust uncle who came to LA in 1950 couldn't understand directions unless I used the freeway names.