• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unique way to train Fastrope

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Push the helo up the edge of an elevator and practice fastroping down to the lowered elevator. I've never seen this, is it common? (found on www.news.navy.mil)

web_060916-N-6688R-002.jpg

060916-N-6688R-002 Pacific Ocean (Sept. 16, 2006) - A Marine with Echo Company assigned to 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) practice fast roping aboard USS Boxer (LHD 4). The 15th MEU and Boxer are part of Expeditionary Strike Group 5, which is currently conducting operations in support of the global war on terrorism. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Hull Maintenance Technician George W. Rape (RELEASED)

web_060916-N-6688R-001.jpg

060916-N-6688R-001 Pacific Ocean (Sept. 16, 2006) - Marine 2nd Lt. David Palacio from Bedford, Texas, assigned to the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) practice fast roping aboard USS Boxer (LHD 4). The 15th MEU and Boxer are part of Expeditionary Strike Group 5, which is currently conducting operations in support of the global war on terrorism. U.S. Navy photo by Chief Hull Maintenance Technician George W. Rape (RELEASED)

FWIW: A friend of mine is the new Shrink on the boxer. Doing a 6-9 month IA.

hscs

pilot
great idea -- looks like some of the best initial rope training for the troops...

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Just to clarify/correct the captions, in the first picture the Marine is fastroping, but in the second picture the Marine is rappelling.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Just to clarify/correct the captions, in the first picture the Marine is fastroping, but in the second picture the Marine is rappelling.

Beat me to it. Looks like a bit of suggestive photography in that respect. I've seen Marines rappelling in a similar fashion on the good ship TR.

Paul

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just noticed the photographer's name. How would you like your official title to be Chief Rape? :eek:

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought to rapell you needed to bounce off something like a cliff face or building? The second image shows a guy just hanging there below the deck hangar ceiling.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I thought to rapell you needed to bounce off something like a cliff face or building? The second image shows a guy just hanging there below the deck hangar ceiling.

Rappelling is any method of descending a rope using controlled friction. Under that definition, I guess fast roping is a type of rappelling. At any rate, the Marine in the second pic is descending a rope that is secured to the flight deck, not a helo. :D

Paul

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

You can rapell from a helo with no wall or anything like that. It takes A LOT longer than FAST roping. FAST rope is a great way to get down to a small area quickly, such as putting guys into an urban area, but the troops can't carry very much, because they're only contacting the rope with gloves and boots--not much to slow a descent down, especially when they're heavy.

Rapelling gives a lot more control, so they can descend with packs and such. It is an agonizingly long hover while they tie-in and off the ropes, so it's not well suited to a "hit" scenario. It's for something more along the lines of putting them in an isolated site where you otherwise couldn't land.

These are merely my observations from a platform perspective, vice a customer, but I've been a platform to both, and supporting a rapelling evolution is absolutely no fun.

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
Agreed. Learned to rappell from a helo skid (think air assault) as an Army ROTC cadet at Camp Rudder (Eglin) before deciding after 6 months that Navy flying was much more preferable to living in the field for a paycheck. Can't imagine doing a full LBE/ALICE fastrope, although I'm sure the pros do it. It's not as if we were training for an insertion.

For the old school types, Camp Rudder is adjacent to the same chunk of Eglin property where we went to Navy land survival. Ah, the joys of being a local... :)

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
We caught a Florida Pine Snake and were hell-bent that we were going to eat him until our instructor told us they were endangered (and it was the largest one they'd ever seen). They traded us about a half a freezer bag of uncooked rice that ended up making a hell of a lot more coffee cans of cooked food than that poor snake would ever have made. They ended up taking the snake back to the survival school to put in the animal collection.

bm-pmmug02.jpg

We heard an armadillo come running through our camp in the middle of the night. You've never seen a bunch of hungry guys whip out survival knives so fast in your life, 'cause he'd have been history if we'd have been able to find him.