• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Unrestricted aviator

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Indeed. Right foot gets all the work in this aircraft. But compared to a Jet Ranger, It's a beast to fly and lots of performance. Engine and fuel controls are wonky. There Is a piece of yarn affixed to the windshield frame to help with ball control.
Bit sketchy in a hover as well.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Oddly there is no twist grip. Engine control is via a lever that sits outboard of collective that sticks out of the floor.
Would that make it dual-piloted, if you can't manipulate the throttle with your hand on the collective? Might be a stupid question, but I dunno.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Would that make it dual-piloted, if you can't manipulate the throttle with your hand on the collective? Might be a stupid question, but I dunno.
Nope. The engine and FADEC account for flight (throttle) changes throughout. In newer models the twist is replaced by switching the OFF/IDLE/FLIGHT switch to OFF (and then a relight in an actual emergency). In the older models (I flew one once) switch is actually a twist grip with three clear positions…Off, Idle, and Flight. When you do a practice auto in the “Squirrel” with an instructor their job is to cover the throttle lever with their hand to prevent any accidental cuts and you just go to IDLE. So…Down, LEFT, Switch, Turn.

I think the new Bell 505 (Jet Ranger X) follows the same procedure.

EDIT: Newer models moved the power control levers to the ceiling.

Last edited:

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

6 years ago. High volume NYC tour operator conducting "doors off, feet out" tours where pax sat on cabin floor, feet hanging out, restrained with a simple nylon harness. AS350. On this fateful flight, one of the passenger harness attachment assemblies got wrapped around the engine control lever, bringing the lever to the shut-off position initiating an engine failure. I believe the pilot was the only one who got out alive as the five passengers were restrained to the helicopter. Poorly briefed pax. No quick release. Also relatively inexperienced and low paid pilot. Tragic all around.

Last edited:

Random8145

Contributor

6 years ago. High volume NYC tour operator conducting "doors off, feet out" tours where pax sat on cabin floor, feet hanging out, restrained with a simple nylon harness. AS350. On this fateful flight, one of the passenger harness attachment assemblies got wrapped around the engine control lever, bringing the lever to the shut-off position initiating an engine failure. I believe the pilot was the only one who got out alive as the five passengers were restrained to the helicopter. Poorly briefed pax. No quick release. Also relatively inexperienced and low paid pilot. Tragic all around.
They don't have that type of thing more regulated? I mean this is the U.S., not say a shoddy operation in a non-First World country.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
She was just trying to deploy the LFAF. It's not like that was the rotor brake handle...

Why was a passenger in the command seat anyway?
The LFAF training in the Sea Ranger was tough…the switchology from 100 decibels to 150 decibels was insane - and that was just the Mk-1.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
She was just trying to deploy the LFAF. It's not like that was the rotor brake handle...

Why was a passenger in the command seat anyway?
Was this that movie where a miniaturized manned probe flies through my intestines? Because it felt like it. Makes more sense if it is.