From the history of what is now MCAS Miramar.
https://militarymuseum.org/MCASMiramar.html
During the 1920's, civilian and military aircraft utilized the former parade ground as a landing field. San Diego's aircraft manufacturers also used the facility for flight testing - including Charles Lindbergh's
Spirit of St. Louis in 1927. From 1929 to 1930, San Diego Air Service Corp. operated the airfield as Air-tech Field. In 1929, the City of San Diego passed a bond issue and purchased 1,000 acres for the Navy's proposed West Coast dirigible base; however, the base went to Sunnyvale, California (Moffett Field). Two years later, the Navy leased 430 acres that included the former parade ground for an outlying field. The mooring mast at North Island was moved to Camp Kearny in 1932 for a visit by the Lakehurst based USS
Akron. Twenty five thousand spectators were on hand to watch the arrival of the
Akron on May 11, 1932. A gust of wind ended the first mooring attempt, carrying the airship upward with four ground handlers holding on to a mooring line. One man jumped to the ground and suffered a broken arm. As the airship continued to ascend, two men lost their grip and fell to their deaths. One man managed to hang on as news camera crews captured the tragic event. The Moffett based USS
Macon used the mast at Camp Kearny four times before its destruction off Point Sur on February 12, 1935. The airfield received its first hard surface in 1936, when a very small portion was paved.