• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USAF F-16 Mask/Helmet

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I was told by our PRs that, in an ejection seat A/C, the helmet wasn't allowed to have the elastic bands on the visor. Has to be the sliding down/tracked kind that locks in place. Is that BS or does the AF just allow their guys to do this on their helmets?

Now that I look at the pic again, you can see where the tracks got removed from his helmet. Everybody has the same thing.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
My nose doesn't like the combat edge.

Same. After a few days of BFM hops the sharp bend in the rubber at the top of the mask will chafe the bridge of my nose raw. And it squeezes the lower part of my nose, so I don't sound cool on the radio---and that is just unsat.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
That isn't a comm cord...the combat edge system in the Viper has a bladder in the back of the helmet that inflates under G...to try and help keep the mask on your face. Whether it works or not is up to speculation.

Wingnut172N

Tumbleweed
pilot
I guess...I'm just a T-6 stud, so I have no experience with that at all, just have some friends who flew Vipers. They say it's a huge PITA compared to the Hornet gear. (Navy -> USAFR)

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Just so that we are clear, nothing in the Navy inventory is > than USAF. I love the Hornet, and we have what we need, but spend a day flying in AF facilities and you will know what I mean.

jmcquate

Contributor
Just so that we are clear, nothing in the Navy inventory is > than USAF. I love the Hornet, and we have what we need, but spend a day flying in AF facilities and you will know what I mean.
The golf courses are a hell of alot better

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor

just once, give me five unsupervised minutes in an AF PR shop....