• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USERRA Interpretation

taxi1

pilot
You return to the job you left, not as a pilot.

You're trying to game the system which only hurts those who genuinely need the protection. That's a bottom feeder dickhead move.
Here's what would actually happen, I'd say. He gets in and
  1. Becomes a pilot and stays in and forgets he ever had that last job, as the world will have transformed in those years
  2. Immediately gets NAMI'd or gets booted out of OCS or API or flight school and returns well within his 5 year limit, hell 1 year limit. Thanks for trying to serve your country,

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Here's what would actually happen, I'd say. He gets in and
  1. Becomes a pilot and stays in and forgets he ever had that last job, as the world will have transformed in those years
  2. Immediately gets NAMI'd or gets booted out of OCS or API or flight school and returns well within his 5 year limit, hell 1 year limit. Thanks for trying to serve your country,

If he dies (NAMI physical wise), he dies.

jad3105

I work for a state agency and have frequent questions on userra - userra is mainly coverage for reservists and reservists who are deployed to active duty. There is a 5 year max on leave. For instance, if you pcs for 3 months in year 3, then 2x 12 month deployments during your remaining time in service, you are fine. Initial training obligations are typically covered under that 5 year max. The ultimate goal is to keep your spot open while you are gone (or another position with similar status and pay). There are a few exceptions, like undue burden or hardship on your employer due to your absence. Also, you have to get your company's policy on military leave. Most companies have stand-alone hr policies that speak to giving your employer notice of your obligation, and timely notice of your return to work. If you operate outside of their policy, then userra may not protect your spot. If it is a national company, you will not be the first one that has had to leave for a service obligation. I would check with hr first and get your policy.