• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USMC 53D's to be refurbed, pressed into service in Iraq/Afghanistan

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
CH-53Ds are still in service.

Exactly, saw them flying every day in Al Asad while I was there. There was a pilot on our staff who would fly both 53D's and 53E's when he could.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Anyone remember when VC-1 had CH-53A 's? I believe they had 5 or 6 in the late 80's. Range support.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Chuck, you're a brave soul using the terms "Heavy lift" and "53D" in the same sentence. Sure the Delta squadrons are prefaced with HMH but they are medium lift. As old and tired as those airframes are they struggle to lift 'much' more than a CH-46E. Yes there is a high demand for heavy lift so why get ride of so called "heavy lift Deltas" and replace with Medium lift Ospreys....? When the USMC talks about lack of heavy lift they mean the CH-53E sustainment and bridging the gap to the Kilo (which is a huge bone of contention).

I find it very interesting that CH-53D's are being pulled from the "boneyard".

I totally agree - I was just echoing the press release/article. The "other" legacy H-53 operator (AFSOC) has the exact same issues I understand...

So why are they pulling airframes out of the boneyard as a stop gap? ANy thoughts?n I guess there are really no other alternatives -

Oh wait - H-34's anyone?

02-PoF-h34.jpg