• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USS Kitty Hawk: strange but true facts about the Old Girl

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Strange ... but they don't say anything about the 38 empty liquor bottles rattling around in the overhead a/c ducting next to my O2-47-4L drinking establishment ... :)

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Strange ... but they don't say anything about the 38 empty liquor bottles rattling around in the overhead a/c ducting next to my O2-47-4L drinking establishment ... :)
Only 38? Short cruise, huh? :D

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
And they didn't mention the "Connie is the Kitty, Kitty is the Connie" hull swap story.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
There was a persistent Navy urban legend that after the keels had been laid for Kitty Hawk and Constellation a swap was made during construction and that the "Kitty is actually the Connie" and vice versa. Connie did have a bad fire during construction that killed 50 workers and injured over 300, but I've never found any document that reflects a keel swap. But on my '87 Hawk deployment, I heard the story told several times. We did drag a bent shaft along on that deployment, so it was fun to chase your plate around the table in the wardroom when we were trying to do high speed runs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
There was a persistent Navy urban legend that after the keels had been laid for Kitty Hawk and Constellation a swap was made during construction....
I heard the same story, but there's no documentation that anyone could ever come up w/ regarding the "hull swap". Janes makes no mention of it and no one else could ever seem to provide "proof".

But the dead shipyard workers from the Connie were said to haunt the Kitty Hawk, looking for the place they were "suppose" to be working ... their ghosts were "confused & restless" as to which hull they were on ... at least, that's what "they" told us -- go figure. :)

Kitty Hawk & Connie (shot from the Hawk) @ MOMP:

dsc01978smallvz9.jpg

dsc01980smallkm5.jpg

dsc01984smallqk3.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I heard this same story as a middie on cruise on the Kitty Hawk....to be honest, I think it was from the CO

There was a persistent Navy urban legend that after the keels had been laid for Kitty Hawk and Constellation a swap was made during construction and that the "Kitty is actually the Connie" and vice versa. Connie did have a bad fire during construction that killed 50 workers and injured over 300, but I've never found any document that reflects a keel swap. But on my '87 Hawk deployment, I heard the story told several times. We did drag a bent shaft along on that deployment, so it was fun to chase your plate around the table in the wardroom when we were trying to do high speed runs.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
"The ship does have an escalator, which serves as a very long staircase, as it hasn’t run for many years."

WRONG!! It runs just fine. It just needs a bit of JO ingenuity.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
"The ship does have an escalator, which serves as a very long staircase, as it hasn’t run for many years."

WRONG!! It runs just fine. It just needs a bit of JO ingenuity.

I agree -- every time we put 10-15 guys in full flight gear on it -- it went like a bat outta hell.

The only problem was, the only direction it went was DOWN !!! :eek: :D

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Why do they have one in the first place?

Lesson learned from WW-II when bombs through the flight deck wiped out entire ready rooms. So on some of the boats the Ready Rooms were below the hangar deck (Kitty is the only one left that way but Indy was that way when I was on her). So instead of trotting up four ladders in flight gear it made an escalator a good idea at the time.