• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Vfa-211

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
All,
I'm being sent to NAS Lemoore this summer on a MIDN cruise. I'm just curious if anybody knows if VFA-211 is still there transitioning to the Super Hornets. If you do, please post. I'm also curious about VF(A)-154.

thanks

Cordespc

None
Contributor
No, they got back here to Oceana about a month ago. From what I understand from a Senior Chief I know at 211, the Navy is now planning on doing the F-14 to F/A-18E/F transitions on the east coast, as it was a logistical nightmare to send an entire squadron to Lemoore for six months.
-Paul

BadBobJr.

Auburn Aviation Hopeful
Oh okay. i heard they had a new RAG squadron at Oceana, but i wasn't aware that it was up and running yet. that would make a lot of sense.

Rg9

pilot
Cordespc said:
No, they got back here to Oceana about a month ago. From what I understand from a Senior Chief I know at 211, the Navy is now planning on doing the F-14 to F/A-18E/F transitions on the east coast, as it was a logistical nightmare to send an entire squadron to Lemoore for six months.
-Paul
How many squadrons are still waiting to switch over to the Superhornet? I thought most of that was done already... :confused:

Rg9

pilot
Sorry... found some old posts on that transition topic here. Any new info would be nice, though, if you have it. Thanks.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
TurnandBurn55 said:
Isn't Schnuggapup a former checkmate?

No, not in the squadron I was CVN staff with them and flew with them occasionally...in the F-14A.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
BadBobJr. said:
Oh okay. i heard they had a new RAG squadron at Oceana, but i wasn't aware that it was up and running yet. that would make a lot of sense.

It is... the VFA-106 "Gladiators"... used to be exclusively a Baby Hornet RAG...

They've been doing transitions for some time, actually. They opened up a small number of slots for newbies as well for an August class, but that appears to have stopped for the time being.

Schnuggapup said:
No, not in the squadron I was CVN staff with them and flew with them occasionally...in the F-14A.

Whoops... thought I saw you mention that in another post... my bad.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
Rg9 said:
How many squadrons are still waiting to switch over to the Superhornet? I thought most of that was done already... :confused:

Last I knew, VF-31 was the last squadron still flying Tomcats and they'll be doing it on the east coast from now on.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
VFA-154 Black Knights is now a Super Hornet Squadron. Not sure if they are fully set up with their airplanes or not.

B

Blutonski816

Ryoukai said:
Last I knew, VF-31 was the last squadron still flying Tomcats and they'll be doing it on the east coast from now on.

VF-31 and VF-213 will both deploy with CVW-8 later this year for the last Tomcat cruise.
VF-32 still have some of their aircraft, but will transition later this year.
Lastly, VF-101 will disestablish in September, and is holding onto one F-14 until then...
I've seen it, it's got an old-school Gull grey on white paint job...

hornetframer, 154's already on their first deployment since the transition. They're doing the 'round the world cruise on the Vinson.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Current Tomcat Squadrons:

VF-31 "Tomcatters"
VF-32 "Swordsmen"
VF-213 "Black lions"

-32 will go over to the Dark Side later this year. The others will stick around until 2006. They're all based out of Oceana... hasn't been a West Coast VF squadron in a little while.

Grant

I'd imagine that the Tomcatters will change their nickname after the transition from Tomcat to SuperHornet... any word on that?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why change it??..Your squadron callsign can be anything...even 'The Tomcatters"...

r/
G

Grant

Schnuggapup said:
Why change it??..Your squadron callsign can be anything...even 'The Tomcatters"...

r/
G

I figured they'd change it because it would be kinda strange to be the Tomcatters, when they no longer fly Tomcats. Just doesnt seem logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.