• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFR Stamp -- Urban Myth?

Have you ever received a VFR Stamp?

• No, Never, Nope.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, and it was awesome!

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Uh, what's a VFR stamp?

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone ever received a VFR STAMP?

We thought we'd get one flying from Fallon to Whidbey because the WX was CAVU, but the WX Guesser issued us a DD-175-1 with SCT 270.

-ea6bflyr ;)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes, daily here at PHNG. It is an option in FWB when you put in your weather briefing request.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
All I ever got was something similar to ea6bflyr. Brief with SKC and unlimited vis.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Probably because your weather in Whidbey is always shitty? :D

Usually only get a VFR Stamp here at Kaneohe when we are staying local for a bounce hop or pilot trainer. Otherwise it makes more sense to get the dash 1.

John

HuggyU2

None
I've never heard of it in the USAF, but I seldom ever get a Dash 1,... unless the Navy/Marine base I'm trying to depart requires it to file my flightplan.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Voted.... "uh, what's a VFR stamp?"

/It's always VFR here.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Voted.... "uh, what's a VFR stamp?"

/It's always VFR here.

Not on the once or twice a year sandstorms come up. PAR for all my friends.

I seem to remember getting a VFR stamp in flight school and since then not as much.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Shouldn't they actually call it a "VMC stamp?" I can, after all, be IFR in VMC. On a bad day, I might actually be VFR in IMC.

As long as no one here says the dreaded "IMC conditions" or "VMC conditions." The "conditions" are already part of the acronym.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Possibly since the requirement for issuance by the weather guessers states that it can only be provided on VFR only flight plans.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Probably because your weather in Whidbey is always shitty? :D

Usually only get a VFR Stamp here at Kaneohe when we are staying local for a bounce hop or pilot trainer. Otherwise it makes more sense to get the dash 1.

John

But if you're staying local, your unit flight schedule counts as your flight plan, and you don't need a -1 or anything to substantiate your Wx brief, unless you're going IFR.

The only time I would need or get a VFR stamp is if I were going on a cross-country on a VFR flight plan, which these days would be somewhat unusual.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Not sure about it being "awesome," and about half the time I have to explain to the forecaster in Norfolk what it is I want, but sure is quicker than waiting for flight weather briefer.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being well "over the hill" I am not familiar with a "VFR Stamp." But I do got's an old sea story…..

I used to fly Research and Development flight profiles in an A-4 against the then developing Aegis radar project in Moorestown, New Jersey. To simulate high-speed, low altitude attacks over New Jersey, I had to do these flights in the middle of the night when there was negligible traffic.

With my A-4 pre-positioned at McGuire AFB, this young naval aviator tripped into their flight-ops at 0200 with my VFR flight plan.

They blew a gasket!

Shocked, those AF guys told me I couldn't file VFR. But I told them I was Navy, and could. They said couldn't. I said I had orders. They said no. It was 02:00 in the morning, and AF colonels and Navy Captains were awakened.

Shortly thereafter - and for many nights later without ever another hassle – I launched VFR out of McGuire AFB at 0300, went out over the Atlantic, and then flew many various mission profiles at low altitude and high-speed over the sleeping New Jersyions. It was always to the great dismay of the AF personnel who hated me for operating outside their rules, whenever I showed up at 2AM for another flight.

Good times! All the mid-watch NY Center ATC controllers got to know me, and enjoyed my "performances" which they had rarely seen! :D

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Being well "over the hill" I am not familiar with a "VFR Stamp." But I do got's an old sea story…..

I used to fly Research and Development flight profiles in an A-4 against the then developing Aegis radar project in Moorestown, New Jersey. To simulate high-speed, low altitude attacks over New Jersey, I had to do these flights in the middle of the night when there was negligible traffic.

With my A-4 pre-positioned at McGuire AFB, this young naval aviator tripped into their flight-ops at 0200 with my VFR flight plan.

They blew a gasket!

Shocked, those AF guys told me I couldn't file VFR. But I told them I was Navy, and could. They said couldn't. I said I had orders. They said no. It was 02:00 in the morning, and AF colonels and Navy Captains were awakened.

Shortly thereafter - and for many nights later without ever another hassle – I launched VFR out of McGuire AFB at 0300, went out over the Atlantic, and then flew many various mission profiles at low altitude and high-speed over the sleeping New Jersyions. It was always to the great dismay of the AF personnel who hated me for operating outside their rules, whenever I showed up at 2AM for another flight.

Good times! All the mid-watch NY Center ATC controllers got to know me, and enjoyed my "performances" which they had rarely seen! :D

They still shit bricks when you try to file VFR out of McGuire.