• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VFR Stamp -- Urban Myth?

Have you ever received a VFR Stamp?

• No, Never, Nope.

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Yes, and it was awesome!

Votes: 12 30.0%
  • Uh, what's a VFR stamp?

Votes: 17 42.5%

• Total voters

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
They still shit bricks when you try to file VFR out of McGuire.
No surprise there -- as anytime I've flown in/out of the PNE-NYC-JFK-EWR corridor it's been a complete shit-storm from an ATC perspective. I wouldn't WANT to fly VFR there unless it was in an attempt to escape the area. I'd almost rather fly ANYWHERE, including Europe, than into the maw that IS the ARTCC for NYC, BOS, DC and their respective airport environs ...

Even at 0300 hours .... :)

Now give me HNL, GUM, or ANC ARTCC anytime, anyday .... that's the style I like ...
:sleep_125

It's little wonder I chose the Pacific for 40 years as the place to accumulate air miles for my frequent-flyer plan .... :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
i used to give vfr stamps all the time. they did exist, but went away with NFWB.
Incorrect. There is a check box that you can select "VFR Briefing Preferred", and if your flight plan, and weather meets the requirements, you will get a VFR stamp. I got one the other day, remote delivery too!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Incorrect. There is a check box that you can select "VFR Briefing Preferred", and if your flight plan, and weather meets the requirements, you will get a VFR stamp. I got one the other day, remote delivery too!

I guess I'll have to try that option on FWB. Thanks.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
They still shit bricks when you try to file VFR out of McGuire.

Or any other air force base for that matter.

If you switch departure before takeoff, you can cancel IFR as soon as you get airborne. I've done it with the wheels in transit.

They hate that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've found another solution which is a) easy, b) legal and c) avoids the hassle that is NFWB. The solution: DUATS. You can get your DUATS brief online, which is perfectly legal, then file your flight plan, be it VFR or IFR. I haven't figured out how "officially" it's supposed to be documented on the DD-175, but I just signed my own initials and no one seemed to care. Seemed to reduce my desire to punch my computer monitor when dealing w/ NFWB.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't you need an N-number to receive a DUATS brief?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You do. So I just use the plane I used to fly. I guess the smart thing to do would be to put that N number in the Flimsy box, but honestly, who knew what was scribbled in there before NFWB. I'm not advocating gun-decking it, but if I've received a valid brief, be it from a weather guesser or a computer, how is the AMB going to decipher if the scribble/initial/flimsy number was real (again, before NFWB).

I used this technique a couple of weeks ago on a ferry mission. I just told the OpsO that if we crash and burn, the weather brief was under DUATS and the N number. As much as I can tell, I've met the requirement, both in spirit and in black and white.