• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Viper earning the name "Lawn dart"

Flying Toaster

None
Seems like it wouldn't be a year at Oshkosh without some sort of incident.

315450160-28150012.jpg

More pics-
http://www.wpix.com/news/nationworld/witi-20110728-eaa-f16-incident,0,5934051.photogallery

Video-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS8xFBgfp-Q&feature=player_embedded

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Ouch. Looked like he was moving at a pretty good clip compared to his partner right before him. Any landing you can walk away from is a good one though, right? In all seriousness, glad the dude is a-ok.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Is it typical for them to land that long? VP-30 static display crew (you can see the P-3 in the background) said he touched down pretty far down the runway.

CAMike

None
Contributor
I doubt they're being told to park on the grass. The ground must have been dry under this one.

followtheleaderatoshkos.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Ouch, check out how far forward he was thrown in the straps in a few of those pics.

yak52driver

Contributor
We parked and taxied on the grass in the warbird area all week, it had been pretty dry prior to Airventure starting so that wasn't a problem for us. The jets all parked on a closed runway, but it did rain some Wednesday and Thursday, the ground may be soft in the overrun.

Flying Toaster

None
Ouch, check out how far forward he was thrown in the straps in a few of those pics.

I was wondering about that. As a racer I've seen plenty of collisions and the surprising amount of belt stretch you get in shoulder harnesses, but even that looks pretty excessive.

I doubt they're being told to park on the grass. The ground must have been dry under this one.

followtheleaderatoshkos.jpg

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I was wondering about that. As a racer I've seen plenty of collisions and the surprising amount of belt stretch you get in shoulder harnesses, but even that looks pretty excessive.

Are they not using the 8000' long runway as the active?!

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Looks like the engine was still running when it hit the dirt? Ouch. Glad he got out ok.

Do all Vipers have an arresting hook?

yak52driver

Contributor
The F-16's here at the Wisconsin ANG have hooks, they have arresting cables at both ends of 18/36 at MSN. They cables are deployed at the far end of the runway to help prevent what happened at OSH. Around 10 years ago an F-16 came in with a problem, was fast with the hook down landing on 18, but the hook went over top of the cables. Pilot ejected just as he left the runway, came out okay.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
That was one smokin'-hot Viper. He probably didn't land longer than usual: Oshkosh just doesn't have the extra 7000' of runway most USAF bases have.