• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Viper Pics

thebluto

pilot
None
"Viper" vs "Fighting Falcon"...reminiscent of Stripes "They call me the cruiser".."They should have called you the dork".

At least the Navy calls their airplanes cool names to begin with, so people don't have to refer to them by some other name.

Okay, I amend my earlier statement...I have yet to hear of a Naval aircraft that people in the Navy refer to with a cooler sounding name than what the Navy gave it.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Okay, I amend my earlier statement...I have yet to hear of a Naval aircraft that people in the Navy refer to with a cooler sounding name than what the Navy gave it.
What's not cool about Warpig, Turkey, Hoover, Hummer, Drumstick, Scooter, Phrog, Shitter, etc. :confused:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...I have yet to hear of a Naval aircraft that people in the Navy refer to with a cooler sounding name than what the Navy gave it.
Then you ain't heard nuthin', yet. :)

PLEASE --- you are distraught. Immediately give yourself a blue card -- and/or a time-out.

The Navy bureaucracy sez: Douglas A-4 Skyhawk ... it's "O.K.", but ... :sleep_125

A-4 Operators/Drivers say: Scooter; Bantam Bomber; Heinemann's Hot Rod; Tinker Toy; Mighty Mite; Camel (A-4E and subsequent models with avionics hump); Skyhog; Super Fox (A-4Fs with P-408's); Squawk/Kahu (New Zealand); Ahit/
"Vulture"(Israel); Chickenhawk (Australian Navy).

You tell us which has more panache .... :)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Ever heard of the P-51? The call it the "Mustang".
I'm guessing you like "Growler" better?
Yeah....the Army gave some aircraft cool names........Inherited names don't count!

What's not cool about telling the enemy we're going to shit all over them? :confused:

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unit was BRAC'd and transitioning to Predators. 147th FW out of Houston Tx.

Bastards! That's screwing with my retirement plans. I grew up right by Ellington and a guard gig flying Vipers would've been tits.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Where did the "Rhino" thing come from? I know they needed to say something different on ball calls, but why "Rhino"?

And as for the AF, I still like the Vark as the best a/c name of all time.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Where did the "Rhino" thing come from? I know they needed to say something different on ball calls, but why "Rhino"? ....
Follow on nod to tradition from a former Navy 2-seat Fighter .... or Fighter/Attack, truth be known .... the smokin', fire-breathin', J-79 gas-suckin', hope we don't lose BLC on the ball, McDonnell-Douglas proof-that-if-you-put-enough-thrust-on-a-brick --- it will fly .... F-4 Phantom II , sometimes a.k.a. "Rhino" ... :)

usnf4phantomsp0.jpg

Lawman

None
Follow on nod to tradition from a former Navy 2-seat Fighter .... or Fighter/Attack, truth be known .... the smokin', fire-breathin', J-79 gas-suckin', hope we don't lose BLC on the ball, McDonnell-Douglas proof-that-if-you-put-enough-thrust-on-a-brick --- it will fly .... F-4 Phantom II , sometimes a.k.a. "Rhino" ... :)

usnf4phantomsp0.jpg

I like the Brit name for it better. "Smoker" just sounds cool even if it is in jest.

Screamtruth

นักมวย
Those are nice pictures. The 147th guys scream by the house when inbound on the DME arc approach to 17.............I guess they keep the speed up for the break and all. Very nice to see them still movin around.............