• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VS-31 Cruise Video

Renegade One

None
After logging 200 hours of flight time (as an officer) and maintaining NATOPS currency, you were eligible for designation as a Naval Aviation Observer (NAO). (BTW - the breast insignia worn before the NFO designation in 1968 - I think !!!).

pn-obsrv.gif
Just for a historical "vignette", my first squadron CO…VT-10 in the fall of 1971…still wore his "toilet seat" NAO wings, even though I'm pretty sure he was grandfathered into the new wings at the 1968 change of insignia date. I expect that wasn't uncommon…sort of a "Hey, these were the wings I earned and flew with for the past ~20 years, and these are the ones I'm gonna wear." Something like that. There was also a "deluxe set", with a two piece fabrication…gold wings and roundel, with a separately affixed "silver" circle and anchor. Pretty Gucci at the time….I have a set in my collection.