• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are aviator wings made of?

wirefire2

Corporal of Marines
Now don't give me any sass, I know they are gold but...are they dipped or leaf gold. What karat is it?

I'm asking because I have my grandfather's wings from when he was a Naval Aviator in World War II
icon_cool.gif
, but they are kind of worn and I wanted to get them restored.

An interesting note, on the back there is a tiny stamp that says "1-20-10K on Sterling" I'm guessing that's the gold karat and that the wings are actually sterling silver coated in gold leaf, or were. Anybody know more?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Now don't give me any sass, I know they are gold but...are they dipped or leaf gold. What karat is it?

I'm asking because I have my grandfather's wings from when he was a Naval Aviator in World War II
icon_cool.gif
, but they are kind of worn and I wanted to get them restored.

An interesting note, on the back there is a tiny stamp that says "1-20-10K on Sterling" I'm guessing that's the gold karat and that the wings are actually sterling silver coated in gold leaf, or were. Anybody know more?

Sure you weren't going to hock 'em and just wanted to know what they were worth? I keed, I keed. :D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Restored???...leave them the way they are.

brownshoe

Contributor
Those wings are made of the blood, sweat and tears of your grandfather. Put them away and cherish them. Your grandfather earned them, and I think he’d agree.

Steve

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I pinned on my Grandad's wings. They were from 1945 and they have a burnished pewter type finish......definately not golden.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
and this whole time I wanted to fly because I thought they were chocolate in gold foil. Guess I'll just go be a tanker.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This thread is worthless without pics....