• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are aviator wings made of?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
..... I have my grandfather's wings from when he was a Naval Aviator in World War II
icon_cool.gif
, but they are kind of worn and I wanted to get them restored. ..........
You're a lucky boy. And just to add to what others have offered: DON'T EVER "restore" vintage, Naval Aviator anything ... buy or draw new if you must for functionality, but respect the mileage and far horizons the "old" stuff has seen ...

The first thing you want when drawing new "equipment" is to make it look somewhat "salty" ... i.e., lived in, "I've been there" ... etc. Sometimes ... "old" is better. :)
Suggestion: ALWAYS use CAPS w/ words like Naval and Aviator and Wings ... you work hard to get 'em and it will make you feel better ... :icon_wink
wirefire2 said:
What are aviator (sic) wings (sic) made of?
So what are Naval Aviator Wings made of, you asked??

Why, the stuff that dreams are made of ... that's what ... :)

phrogpilot73

An interesting note, on the back there is a tiny stamp that says "1-20-10K on Sterling" I'm guessing that's the gold karat and that the wings are actually sterling silver coated in gold leaf, or were. Anybody know more?
According to a quick google search, that stamp means that the wings are Sterling silver with 1/20 of 10K gold.

The ones my parents gave me as a winging gift are 14K solid gold.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
With the price of gold nowadays, those are worth more than they were when you received them.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Maybe, but if they're the ones I received as a gift, as well, there was probably a substantial markup (ie, from the Museum).

GroundPounder

I have my grandfather's original set from 1942. They have a Tiffany and Co. hallmark, and are 14Kt. If gold went to 10,000 dollars an ounce I would not part with them. I've had them since I earned my Army commission, and while they meant a lot to me then, ( a gift from him on that day ) they mean more to me now that he is gone. My vote is for keeping them as is.

phrogpilot73

Hmmm, gold is up to $1000/ounce. Tempting? Absolutely not. I plan on passing my 14KT gold wings down to any children we may have or be buried with them...

wirefire2

Corporal of Marines
Those wings are made of the blood, sweat and tears of your grandfather. Put them away and cherish them. Your grandfather earned them, and I think he’d agree.

Steve

Oh I know what they're worth...

Too late. Didn't you read his post?

I'm a Marine, we don't do a whole lot of this...thinking stuff...

This thread is worthless without pics....

Stop whining...

WingsofGold.jpg

This is what they looked like AFTER I cleaned them up with a special jewelery polishing rag. I think I'll take them to a jeweler to have them sonic cleaned. It appears the gold is perfectly intact and it was only tarnished.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
My brain can't really tell much of a difference. But then again, I'm a Marine...all that mess about thinking and all.